Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cirrhopetalum flowering!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought this mounted Orchid Cirrhopetalum / Bulbophyllum Louis Sander x Elizabeth Ann 'Buckleberry' because I thought it was cool the way it was growing but now it's flowering and it's really cool! I never had a bulbophyllum before so I didn't know what to expect from this plant! My crummy no zoom/focus capabilities digital camera doesn't do it justice but here's a pic of the flowers once they opened:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, thats really really cool!!!!!!

Is each tuby thing a seperate flower?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, there's 5 flowers on each stalk. Each stalks flowers all form slowly and then all open at once then another stalks flowers form and they all open at once and so on... There's about 6 stalks with 5 flowers on each stalk so that's 30 flowers on this thing pretty much all at once! Each leaf & bulb set sent up a stalk from the bulbs base. If I'm lucky the plant will bloom quite often once the first bloom is done in it's new home!
    So far this is the only orchid that ha bloomed fully for me, but my Masdevallia is sending up about 10 flowers now so I'm hopeful my luck with cloud forest orchids will be as good as with my neps! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, thats amazing! Hehe...
    My biggest orchid news is that my Onc. x Sharry Baby just bloomed... Its a half-@$$ed bloom tho... theflowers stalk doesnt even go higher than the leaves... I'm attributing this to the cold temps of canadian winters... It does smell like chocolate though, so cool!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sword, yes that is a really kool flowering orchid. i ran a search on googles to get a better look at the flowers.

i planted 2 phal. in the log you told me about and both of them started to put out new growth right away. i also redid some of the other orchids and it seems that they do alot better in a diff mix then they come in.
    George McKay

In The End We are All Dead
    Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    George, Orchids quite often need new mix when you buy them. I let mine go for a month or so after I get them then I put them in new soil cos quite often what the supplier has done is use an "enriched" mix which has lots of nutrients-which Orchids don't really like but it will make them flower quicker for retail sale - which is what the distributors want! Cos it's only us diehard plant freaks who'll buy an orchid out of bloom. But these enriched mixes will cause root rot and quite often, if I've bought an orchid in a place like Target or Franks Nursery & Crafts then the roots have been partially rotted and they do benefit a lot from having the dying parts cut off (sterilize your knife in a butane lighter flame before moving to a new plant I had to toss all my Brassia hybrids cos I didn't sterilize) and being potted in a fresh soil mix.

I'm glad the Phal is working on the hydrolog I always thought they would like it drier than the hydrolog. For those of you who don't know what George and I are talking about - it's what the above plant is mounted on. Basically it's just a moss grown block of florist foam with a hanging frame and hook that you tie an orchid to with fishing line. I'm gonna try a large sized unknown phal hybrid that I have on a large mossy grown driftwood log that used to be in my vivarium. I'll also try and swipe a block of florist foam from my blasphemous silk flower arranging girlfriend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sword, with the hydro log i mist it everyday and place the tip of the sprayer (which is one of thous 5 Gal. pump deals) and place it in the hole and out to 5. so it really isn't soaked but is damp. w/ in a weeks time there was new growth coming from it.
    yesturday i pulled a cattleya,Dendrobium and paph out of the mix they where in and the catt. roots where rotted as can be. the mix they put them into had peat in it and water was sitting on the roots 24/7 and didn't have time to dry out. but it is showing signs of new growth. which is good.
    the paph root sytem was nothing i have ever seen before and was amazed. not much to it and looked like a claw
    but , i placed them into the wooden crated and added wet bark into it. at least now the flower of the paph. is look straight ahead and not looking down.
    George McKay

In The End We are All Dead
    Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People always talk about the fragility of orchids, but the fact that they can survive in those conditions at the plant shop/dept store is a testament to their true hardiness. So long as we give them a light and good care at the end of their arduous journey they usually come back just fine, it just takes awhile sometimes! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast