What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New orchids - names are abbreviated

I purchased/rescued two relatively unruined hybrids from a franks nursery for good prices but their labels have their names abbreviated. I'd like to know what the species are which make up these Intergeneric hybrid plants if any of you knows I'd be much appreciative!

ALCRA. Sunday Best 'Muffin'
this one didn't have any flowers

BLLRA. Marfitch 'Unicorn Splendor'
this one has much darker purple flowers than the ones I've seen when I did a google search on it.

thanks for any info folks!

Alcra. Aliceara = Brassia x Miltonia x Oncidium

Bllra. Beallara = Brassia x Cochilioda x Miltonia x Odontoglossum

Wow, thanks Tony. Those are some complex hybrids (if I understand that term properly)!

Is there instances of people crossing things like a Pleurothallid Alliance with a Oncidium Alliance? Is that a possibility or is that like trying to mate a cat and dog?

Yeah that is strecching it a bit.
Even Genera that are reletively closley related dont always cross well. Slippers for instance usually just end up follow one parent or the other. There is an exception to the rule and that is the Phramipaphium Hanes Magic 'Bion' AD/AOS (Phragmipedium Albopurpureum x Pahpiopedulum stonei) its only been created once succesfully i believe.
Vandas and Phalaenopsis readily cross.

Peace
biggrin.gif

Back