Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: An Orchid Discussion Board

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. I didn't realize Spike treated ALL the forums like he did the CP forum. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img] I thought maybe the CP crowd was somehow more rebellious. lol That's very interesting. I got smacked (via email) for "not following the proper procedure" when I posted a notice about the speaker event at Meadowview in the Virginia Gardening section. BIIIG crime! What was the big deal? I think more Virginia people saw the notice on that forum than some "Event" listing area.

I visit GW from time to time in various forums (CP, Orchid, Houseplant, Vines, Trees, etc.) but I'm not there regularly enough to know the people. That's a shame that the restrictions there inhibit the learning process. I'll bet Spike's list of banned members is HUUUUGE!

Hmmm...I'll have to check out that aroid forum....

Thanks Troy. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you like botanical backstabbing then the orchid world is for you! Especially the more "big name" scientific fellows do things (as was experienced by Old Wrangler) to enforce their aspect of taxonomical nomenclature and ensure their position in the "orchid scene" as top dog or whatever The more "power" (or rather notoriety) they achieve the crazier they get. Narcing each other off for plants someone may or may not have, starting rumors about certain people or in the name of "conservation" detaining known botanists at airport customs for "not having plants, therefore they are behavig supiciously".

If you get a chance to read Eric Hansens book Orchid Fever (available most everywhere) which discusses the orchid people (and not so much the plants) it's plenty exciting. The stories and names are all true. I've been reading the contest of wills between Dr. Cribb and Dr. Braem on the subject of Paphiopedilums in their respective monographs and revisions after reading the beginings of their feud in Erics book. I stay off either side of "orchid politics". Such as Old Wrangler and Eric Christanson (who's book on Genus Phalenopsis I really enjoyed reading) or Dr Cribb and Kews crusade against independent botanists. I just read all sides, grow my plants and enjoy the chaos and hope I never get involved! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

All this is also part of why I do not join any orchid or CP societies. Once you join a group you've chosen a side. I prefer to remain independent in all aspects!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does not matter the forum at GW. So long as Spike is involved you can be sure it's the same as any other.
    His egotistical behavior even extended to the bamboo forum. I was never officially expelled, but just decided to leave. The "friendly reminders" and politics were just nuts.
    I picture Spike as a power-crazed natzi on a puter all day, hidden away somewhere in some deep dark nasty basement, seeking out those with knowledge.LOL
    Glad I've found a cooler, more friendly place to hang out online.
    Bye for now,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]All this is also part of why I do not join any orchid or CP societies. Once you join a group you've chosen a side. I prefer to remain independent in all aspects!
    Wise words as usual from you Josh, I am of exactly the same opinion. I try to remain out of the politics, it's about the plants and after all, we're all just here to enjoy our hobby. IMHO my hobby is one area of my life where I want to indulge myself and not worry about any other bs that might be going on. If I can meet other people like you guys and chew the fat on this forum, maybe help out a bit, then I'm happy.

Cheers, Troy.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its funny how that word "Nazi" pops up whenever Spike's name is mentioned. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] I had no idea he was like that in all the forums. That must be all he does all day long..."Off with their heads!!"

I have had a number of people mention that book "Orchid Fever" to me...and there was a movie too wasn't there? I will have to get it and read it. I've heard its good.

I had no idea the orchid business was this way. It is ironic that a plant of such beauty attracts such ugliness and corruption. I guess because its big business and ego, pride and money get in the way. What a shame. It does make me wonder about species plants you might buy off eBay. As a buyer, you'd have no way to know if they were legal or illegal.

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow Troy, I didn't know anyone else thought this way! I thought I'd probably be blasted for not supporting "the cause" or whatever. The only shame is I can't get their magazines without joining - I'd like to be able to buy it off a newsstand or something.

Plantakiss, Orchid Fever is kind of a who's who of big names in the orchid world or maybe just the most "infamous charachters". But throughout history such goings on have surrounded orchids and even things so common nowadays as the Gardenia have had fights over their discoveries and even leading to murders and "dissapearances" of other botanists. Indeed a zany world! Since having a species named after you or rather said to be discovered by you is going to be an eternal thing, That causes a lot of envy I suppose.

If you care to read about that sort of thing (as well as other adventure type tales) you could take a look at The Plant Hunters by Tyler Whittle which tells stories from the famous plant hunters of the victorian age. I should add however, this book is written in pseudo-prose and a bit irritating to read! A true "chapter at a time" book...!

The movie you mention is called "Adaption" and written from the book The Orchid Theif by Susan Orlean. Ihis details one fellow who tried to start a tissue culture propagation of the Ghost Orchids from the florida swamps with the assistance of the Indian tribes. He even supposedly never touched the plants but was persued by the feds for his activities. I'm not a big movie fan so I haven't seen it yet (I think it's been out like 5 years [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] )!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the major difference between CPers and orchid enthusiasts is that lots of orchid enthusiasts have trouble getting along with others. And have a hissy fit if they can't have what they want. Maybe what they need is some milk and cookies followed by a nice nap [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] . My impression is those with a few orchids in windows or under lights (and I count my 50+ as a few [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] ) don't tend to be that way.

This forum's conservation section shows lots of us CPers would try to find someone who poached rare CPs, trying to get the person arrested. Call me cynical, but I think many orchid enthusiasts would try to find the person so they could buy one of the plants. Call me naive, but I think most CPers get more pleasure knowing some Sarracenia jonesii survive somewhere in the southeastern US than they would having one in a pot at home. That way of thinking seems far less common among orchid enthusiasts [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img] .
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (pops up from behind a rock) Why do you all hate orchid growers so much? I have 15 of them! (qucikly ducks back down expecting trash to be thrown)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast