Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An Orchid Discussion Board

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all you orchid lovers [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

I recently ran across another discussion board very similar to the TerraForums...but for orchid growers! There are numerous forums there that cover many topic including Pests and Diseases, Trading and supplies. The membership is smallish (about 500) but growing. The people there seem very nice. Here is the address for those who might want to check it out and maybe join (I did):

http://forum.theorchidsource.com

While it seems to be a pretty neat place, it is a bit different atmosphere than here at Terra/PFT. They do have moderators but it seems they do little moderating...the language gets spicey and there's some attitude and mudslinging going on that wouldnt be tolerated here. However it also appears they don't have as many young growers there as you find at Terra/PFT.

Right now there is a rather interesting thread raging...one of their members was wrongly accused by the gov't for illegally importing a rare and protected Paphiopedilum kovatchii. The "Feds" raided his business, ransacked his house and took all this business records and computer! It may take a bit of reading to catch on, but its an interesting thread full of intrigue...and really rather horrifying. It seems the orchid world is, under its face, not as a pretty as an orchid bloom....with corruption and CITES and import issues abounding. Its been eye-opening. It will make you think twice about breaking import and CITES regulations.

Anyway, I think its a good place to go for information and fellowship with other orchid enthusiasts.

Check it out. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Suzanne
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A moderator is advertising a competitor!?! I used to check in at the OSF quite a bit. It was and probably still is dominated by refugees expelled from the Gardenweb's orchid forum. There's a lot of orchid knowledge there, but not equal to the CP knowledge lurking in the Terraforums. But TerraForums also show knowledgeable people can be civil. I don't go back to OSF much.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol Well, The Orchid Source Forum is just a discussion board...they don't sell anything. :-) I mentioned it just because there aren't as many orchid growers here as there are at OSF so if someone would like to surf there for growing info, its a...source. lol

And I think you're right. I've seen some mention of GardenWeb bootings which I found rather amusing since this forum was born because of Spike's nastiness and prediliction for banning people. Don't know what orchid issues would result in expulsion from there though. I thought the CP forum was the only one where members got expelled. lol We're such a nasty lot. hehe [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]

I will agree that I think the TerraForums is superior in quality...but then again it seems their forum is relatively new.

I tried to get the people there interested in CPs. heehee There are some people there growing some CPs...mostly neps it seems. I try to get converts where ever I go. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gardenweb's orchid forum had some serious volcanic activity a couple years ago; enough to make the CP forum action seem like minor tremors. Some people were banned for innocent things, as is the Gardenweb's tradition, but many others went far, far out of their way to get banned.

A lot of it happened after Bob of Antec (ladyslippers.com) was banned for directing people to his site for answers to Paph and Phrag questions. I'll admit a very small amount of it did come across as customer mongering, but there's no better source for answers to some questions. Other people were later banned for posting links to Antec. Others were banned for inappropriate discussions between consulting adults and quite a few others were sent into exile for random bomb throwing.

OSF certainly is community, but not necessarily full of people I want living next door. But my best trading partner resides there and I used to be fairly close to some others. I agree people interested in orchids should pay a visit and see if they like what they find. Especially if your usual response to smoke is to throw gasoline [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] .
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, now I gotta check it out...

edit: Now that's a flaming discussion board! I do like the kinship of the PFT board much better though! The orchid people are just as fascinating as the plants....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol Yeah...its kind of a different feel over there.

Bruce...thanks for the additional information. Very interesting. I didn't realize Spike's powertrip extended to the GW Orchid Forum. It was rather eye-opening reading the thread about Old Wrangler's legal problems. There was a lot of name calling and people bashing...very ugly! It really made the orchid world appear quite seemy and corrupt. I guess their board is more for the serious-to-professional orchid grower because after reading around, I think the atmosphere there would be very discouraging of newbies. If I were just getting interested in orchids and read all that crap, I think I'd just stick with buying a few orchids from Lowes and reading up on the internet.

Here at Terra, I think people do whatever they can to welcome and nuture newbies into the hobby. I guess they don't really care what kind of image they project to the general public over there. You're right...they make the CP world seem like Candyland. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

I still think its a place where you could learn a lot...if you side step the cussin' and name calling. *eyeroll*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GW's orchid forum is a welcoming place for beginners and I check in. But I lurk more than participate. If I had stumbled into something like OSF instead of GW when I first got into orchids several years ago, I might have given up. And many of the more obnoxious people at OSF are no more serious about orchids than many people at GW. They'e just more obnoxious.

But OSF has many good people and, if you ignore the fires burning everywhere, you can get quite an education about orchids. Plus the jokes are better. Just don't repeat them around older relatives.
    Bruce in CT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I didn't realize Spike's powertrip extended to the GW Orchid Forum.
    Ah Suzanne, you obviously have no idea of the extent of Spike's madness and craving for power then. After reading herenorthere's post about Bob getting booted, an almost identical thing happened on the Aroid forum about 6 or 8 months ago. There was a guy there named Brian Williams, absolutely top guy, who dominated the Aroid forum (in a good way). He answered everyone's questions and occasionally directed people to his site where he had pics of everything you could imagine. This of course raised the ire of our GW friend and Brian is no longer.

Seems anyone with any expertise eventually runs foul of GW, leaving it full of newbies that are forced to grope around for knowledge amongst each other.

Thanks for the orchid forum link Suzanne, and the "goss" herenorthere, I'm there!

Cheers, Troy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast