User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: orchids for mounting or putting in baskets?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just wondering what species of orchids would be good for putting in a hanging basket. I've never grown orchids this way, and my mom has recently seen some growing like this and decided to try it. Does anyone know which genera are good for this, or which species? Right now, she's considering Phaleonopsis, encyclia or epidendrums, brassavola, or possibly bulbophyllums. Has anyone here had good luck doing this with any particular species or genera?
    Thanks for any advice you can give.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All my Phals are in baskets. Encyclias and Epidendrums do very well in baskets, although some prefer to be mounted (such as on cork). I think all Brassavolas prefer to be mounted. I've never had success with Bulbos, so I won't poison your chances by offering any advice about those. But baskets are an excellent choice for the others. If you choose a species that prefers mounting, such as Enc. tampenses or Brassavola nodosa, just fill the basket with a coarser medium. Or even grow the plant in an empty basket.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can grow pretty much anything in a basket, the trick is to adjust your watering accordingly. (although I wouldnt recommend any of the lady slipper unless youve got optimum humidity levels)
    I do have extensive experience with Bulbophyllum and its allies I can tell you they love basket culture, you just really need to stay on top of watering.
    Hope this helps
    Peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot for the info. I am forwarding a copy to my mom. Hopefully, she'll consider the Bulbophyllum, since she likes to overwater her plants (and has overwatered Phals in the past).

Try Dendrobium aggregatum for mounting--it makes a spectacular sight in bloom, and an interesting floral mount.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive nick named that plant Dendrobium aggravatum.
    (For its propensity to bloom of course, for those of you not in the know)
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Peace