What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are some perfumy types of orchids

I can give good conditions I think, but not GH humidity. 40% and usually above. I really am most interested in the fragarant types, the ones that have real punch vs lightly scented.

I just listed a Brassavola nodosa in the trade section. It's a popular night-scented orchid. But the greatest scented orchid, in my opinion, is Neofinitia falcata, which will fill a large area with what I think is an aroma of vanilla candy. Gongoras are nice too and often have a sort of spiced citrus fragrance. But they won't knock you down the way a Neofinitia can.

Many Encyclias have nice scents. Some are faint and some, like Encyclia radiata, are powerful. It has a pleasant licorice smell when you're a few feet away, but can overpower a small space. An Aerangis can be that way too. My Aerangis distincta has a spicy scent almost like some air fresheners (but not artificial). It's nice. But take a deep sniff with your nose among the flowers and your nasal passages will burn.

I second Encyclia radiata. Easy to grow too.

You want Vanda merreliana, This plants scent is soo sweet you wont want to be within 10 feet of the plant let alone keep it in your house while its flowering.
Of course if your into stench I can recommend quite a few Bulbophyllum and Cirrhopetalum for you as well.

In Hawaii, Den. anosmum (superbum) usually usually wins the prize for best scented orchid, although it's not a common category for a prize. The relative humidity here is around 70 percent, so 40 may be too low. but it might be worth trying because it's a beautiful flower, and the spikes can get long (4 ft. or more, though mine aren't that long).

Back