Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 new mislabeled orchids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found 3 new awesome looking orchids at my grocery store today. They were all labeled 'Phalaenopsis'.
    Here are some pics of them, maybe someone can help me out with what they are?

First one, here's the flower:

And a pic of the leaves, as well as the basal shoot (if that's what they're called with orchids)

Here's the second one's flower (sorry about the poor focus)

And the entire plant:

Third one's flower:

Profile:

Very pretty speckled leaves aswell:

So does anyone know what these are? I can't be having with all this mislabeling [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks! /Quensel.
    Spam, sausage, spam, spam, bacon and spam, Spam, spam, sausage, spam, egg, bacon and spam, Spam spam, spam, spam, tomato and spam...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WHOA if im not mistaken, those are slipper orchids
    u found those at your supermarket?!
    WTF
    those are awsome [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Hellz
    Nike SB is Bananas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why, thanks!!

Yes I got them at my supermarket, they were about 10$ a piece, and there were like 10+ more varieties, including all-white ones, and other awesome stuff...

Maybe I should get some more? After all, they're cheap, just came in from the nursery today, and extremely pretty!

But still; anyone have any tips as to what they are, species-wise?

/Quensel
    Spam, sausage, spam, spam, bacon and spam, Spam, spam, sausage, spam, egg, bacon and spam, Spam spam, spam, spam, tomato and spam...

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    only ten bucks each? that's a steal!!

those are paphs/phrags (sry, i cant really tell you the difference.. i think paph. is a genus and phrags are a hybrid of to genus?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if i were you, id buy em all, and sell lots on ebay [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    or bettr yet, trade me here for cps, id trade for one of those if i had anything worth em
    Hellz
    Nike SB is Bananas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are some kind of Papiopedilum or Phragmipedium (two different, but related, genus). The first one is a novelty vinicolor (one color) hybrid of some sort, probably has some P. callosum in the ancestry (most of the hybrids do). Really easy to grow, if kept in shade, and somewhat damp (they don't like to dry out much, but can't sit in water like Phrags can). The second one I can't identify, it's eather a phrag or a multifloral paph of some sort (most likely), it'll probably like more light than the first one. That one is DEFINITELY a deal at $10.
    The third one is also a Paph callosum hybrid of some sort.

The white ones were most likely Paph. x maudiae, another callosum hybrid.

They're really underrated orchids. So easy to grow compared to most orchids, especially if you have a relatively cool house.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the positive feedback!!

Well, I couldn't stay away, so I went back and got 4 more! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Here's the first one:

Profile of the 2 flowers:

Numero 2:

Basal:

third:

Fourth:

Speckled

In number 3, you can see that the petals look kinda droopy, and number 4 we had to hold up in order to get a good clean shot, it was very droopy too.
    This is, I realized when repoting, that they have almost no roots to speak of.

Can this be helped in any way? maybe using a rooting hormone of some sort?
    Any tips would be most welcome!

Many thanks! /Quensel

Edit: Oh, and I'm really sorry for the large pics, I cant seem to get the resolution lower on my cam... I'll try resizing the next batch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, these are fabulous! What an awesome deal you got.
    larry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigflytrap/
    Save a tree, legalize cannabis.
    Be enlightened

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast