What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phaleonopsis

• Thread starter Starman
  • Start date
Um, which are the best kind of containers to use for phaleonopsis orchids?

I use glazed orchid pots with the holes in the sides. For phalaenopsis orchids I use a mix of 75% LFS, and 25% orchid bark.

What are glazed orchid pots? I didnt know you could use spaghnum!

One caution about LFS. You need to make sure the moss dries out or at least doesn't stay soggy or you will get root rot. I have quite a few phals that I got from an officemate who buys them from a vendor who packs them tightly in moss...she overwaters them and they stay soggy and next thing I know I'm receiving a dehydrated phal with rotted roots.

So if you use a lot of moss, just make sure it drains well and dries out some before watering.
smile.gif

Not really much use to me, elgecko. I live on another continent to you!
Thanks for the tip, PlantAkiss!
smile.gif

Um, are there any other containers that I could use?
smile.gif

I use shallow wire baskets, lined with as little coco fiber as possible. My preferred mix these days is a mix of coconut husk chips (CHC) and volcanic rock (the white, giant perlite stuff). The mix is ~3/4 CHC. I've had some nice plants in clay orchid pots too. I use more volcanic rock in a pot (maybe 1/2) and use my rock hammer to enlarge the drain holes. I put several nonbiodegradable packing peanuts on the bottom and some coco fiber on top of the peanuts before adding the mix.

confused.gif
Nver mind. Ill just ask somebody for these orchid pots at the garden centre.
confused.gif
Are there any other containers that I could use?

The best ways to grow phals are (1) in glazed ceramic/terra cotta pots with air holes on the side, (2) regular plastic pots...just make sure they have good drainage or (3) in hanging baskets (made of wood sticks with ~ 1cm space between them).

If you decide on the glazed pots, then I would be VERY careful not to overpot (plant in too big a pot) and would reduce the amount of sphagnum moss in the mix. In fact, the two phals I have growing in pots are in 90% bark chips, 10% sphag moss. Too big a pot or too much moss almost always leads to root rot.

If you go with the latter (I think wooden baskets are great) then you can add more moss to the mix (moss:bark = 25:75) and there's much less chance for overwatering since so much of the potting medium is exposed to air. However, it also means that you'll have to be more diligent in making sure your plant doesn't dry out, especially if you heat your place during the winter (major humidity drop).

Whatever you do, do NOT grow them in unglazed terra cotta for two reasons: 1. If the pot remains constantly moist then fungus can start growing on the pot and 2. the pot retains salts which over time can be detrimental to your plant.

The best ways to grow phals are (1) in glazed ceramic/terra cotta pots with air holes on the side, (2) regular plastic pots...just make sure they have good drainage or (3) in hanging baskets (made of wood sticks with ~ 1cm space between them).

If you decide on the glazed pots, then I would be VERY careful not to overpot (plant in too big a pot) and would reduce the amount of sphagnum moss in the mix. In fact, the two phals I have growing in pots are in 90% bark chips, 10% sphag moss. Too big a pot or too much moss almost always leads to root rot.

If you go with the latter (I think wooden baskets are great) then you can add more moss to the mix (moss:bark = 25:75) and there's much less chance for overwatering since so much of the potting medium is exposed to air. However, it also means that you'll have to be more diligent in making sure your plant doesn't dry out, especially if you heat your place during the winter (major humidity drop).

Whatever you do, do NOT grow them in unglazed terra cotta for two reasons: 1. If the pot remains constantly moist then fungus can start growing on the pot and 2. the pot retains salts which over time can be detrimental to your plant.

oops..sorry for the double post.

People questioning their ability to grow Phals should be encouraged by the wide range of recommendations. The moral of the story is that just about anything can work. Phals like moisture and air around their roots. Any combination of container, potting material, and watering schedule providing that will work.

Back