What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stanhopea questions

i picked up a lil Stanhopea nigro violacea this weekend. i have been interested in this genus and the close relations since i first found them on the net awhile ago. i was told that they grow fast. it is currently in a 2.5 inch pot and has 2 active growths with 2 more "bulbs" with no leaves all bulbs are a lil smaller than a dime in diameter. first question, just how fast do they grow? i realize im prolly 2-3 years from flowering even if its a fast grower. also how soon do i have to worry about potting it up in a basket? after its filled a 4 inch pot? a 6 inch?

Rattler

Stanhopea will get pretty big. Probably not going to see flowers until it is in the 6" pot size or larger with pseudobulbs around the size of a jumbo egg. Feed the plant well when it's growing to really push each new growth up in size.

ok. ive got awhile before i have to worry about a basket than. i realized they got big. i saw their "specimen" plant when i was up there. i was just unsure about how big they had to get before blooming. i know they need to be in a basket to bloom do to the fact the flower spike travels through the soil and needs to "pop" out the side before it will bloom. thanks for the input.

Rattler

That's a beautiful species. I just missed getting a flask from the Meyers Conservancy earlier this year. I've had some Stans, but traded them away long before they reached blooming size. I like Gongoras, the smaller cousins of Stans. My most (only?) imposing orchid is a Gong. galeata.

thats what i thought. he had 6 or 7 Stanhopea species/varieties. i picked out this one. he also had a couple of the related types like the Gongoras and the one that starts with a C......im horrible with latin names. i would have gotten another but Darla was dead set on getting her expensive blue Vanda and i had another species that i really wanted. oh well, ill get more eventually.

Rattler

Are you speaking of Coryanthes Rattler? That is a wonderfull orchid.. the big cousin of Gongora. They grow together at many places and for years growing Coryanthes was thought to be impossible because it grows only on ant nests.

Now it has been found that it can be grown like Stanhopea or Gongora without problems.

These 3 genuses are my favorite ones, followed by Restrepia, Trisetella and Masdevallia.

BINGO thats the one! im so horrible with latin. his specimen plant was in bloom when i stopped. i love the wierd looking flowers. hopefully ill have a greenhouse up by midsummer next year and will have room for all these wonderfull orchids and CPs and other odd ball tropicals that i love.

Rattler

Back