What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orchid like weed?

Hey, I found this plant that is growing like a weed one the constantly wet banks of a creek in a park that is close to my house. The flowers are orange with purple dots on the bottom petal and they have a weird shape. On the back of the flower is a big tank which open to a hole in the front. I live in Pennsylvania and I didn't think any Orchids grew here. Anyway, tomorrow I'm going again and I'm going to grab a few cuttings. If anyone can think of what I'm talking about then let me know. I've been wanting to get an orchid for some time now but I've heard that they are tough to take care of and expensive so I decided to hold off. However these little guys are free and if they grow around here then I know EXACTLY what kind of conditions they need. Thanks!

Kyle

orchids are not neccesarily difficult. one of my most abused plants is an Oncidium orchid that blooms every 3 months. i grow most of mine like normal house plants and they do fine. i would check local laws on collecting orchids. sometimes its illegal.

Rattler

That was my guess too - Jewelweed. It isn't an orchid and the more botanically inclined call it Impatiens capensis. It supposedly is a good cure for poison ivy.

So it really IS an orchid?! AWESOME! I got 3 cuttings! Although the flowers on this one weren't so dark...they were more yellow but otherwise they are exactly the same.

No, Jewelweeds (Touch-me-nots aptly named for the mechanical seed pod launchers) are just what the name implys a pretty "weed".

They also have very specific conditions needed for their culture, which is why they are not found just anywhere. Do you know what those conditions are?

specific conditions for that? really? they grow next to our lake in soggy mudd. they grow within a few hundred feet of ladyslippers.

temperate climate in the mountains.

i can give you as many "bushes" as you want tamlin.

They grow all over the North side of my barn... very wet, very heavy soil in alot of shade.

Yeah the ones I saw weren't in full sun for long all day and they were in really really wet conditions. They looked really healthy too. The cuttings died btw. But it doesn't matter the park is a little more than 5 minutes away from my house.

Back