What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this orchid?

Hey,

This orchid just sprouted from a clump of grasses I received from someone last year.  Does anyone know what it is?

Thanks,
Patrick Triggs

orchid01.jpg

orchid02.jpg

So what was it? A species of Spiranthes?

I have never heard of it.....

Probably because you don't live in the US and don't grow terrestrial orchids.

Starman,

It is also know as Ladies Tresses. It may not grow in Europe. Its pretty common here in the US. There are quite a few terrestrial orchids here, most are small and kind of boring unless you an orchid nut.

Glenn
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Seandew @ Sep. 22 2004,10:31)]Probably because you don't live in the US and don't grow terrestrial orchids.
Of course I grow terrestrial orchids! I grow a Disa.
smile_m_32.gif

This is one of those orchids that few orchid growers know and that wild plant enthusiasts are more likely to recognize. But there are hundreds of species around the world and they can be difficult to identify. Knowing where a plant is from helps narrow it down, but they look pretty similar to me. At least the eastern US species do.

I have Spiranthes sinensis growing very close to home here in southern Australia. Doesn't look as attractive as this white species though.

I just looked up S. sinensis.  It seems to be more brightly colored, but with fewer, more widely-spaced flowers.  I prefer the white flowers, but I'd like to have variety, as well.

Also, S. diluvialis is nicely scented.  Do other Spiranthes have scent?  What is it?

- Patrick

Back