What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pretty pictures

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
Here are some pics of my phaleonopsis(sp?) that is blooming for the first time since I got it last year. It was a surprise that the blooms were the color they are because that is one of my favorite colors, and I got the plant on sale AFTER the flowers were gone. Enjoy.

10-15-04%20001.jpg
10-15-04%20029.jpg

10-15-04%20030.jpg
10-15-04%20028.jpg

10-15-04%20031.jpg
10-15-04%20032.jpg

Later,
~Wes~

i bought alot of my orchids that way. very nicly done. beautiful orcid.

Rattler

Thank you, I personally think that it requires almost no care at all. It has nearly doubled in size since I got it which was about this time last year.

Very Nice!!!
I have an increasing interest in growing orchids as winter is approaching, and half my CP collection is gonna go into Dormancy. I am also going to some Orchid show this December. I Forgot where, but me and my mom and her friends are going. Ill try to get the details, and I want to see if anyone else is going.
Hellz

Where is it?

Oncidiums are good. mine blooms about every 3 months with lil care from myself. im trying to get some mini Cattleyas to bloom but not having much luck. i also recieved a bunch of "odd ball" species from herenorthere and have gotten most established and growing but thats about it. common types are generally easier to get to bloom but the oddballs are more interesting. atleast i think so.

Rattler

Whoa! Nice pics Wesley. I like that shade of red, too.

Nice plant with a great color. Did it come with a name or is it just Phalaenopsis?

I belive that is Phalonopsis sanderiana(Its the only one known with red flowers) or a sanderiana hybrid.

Very nice.
smile.gif

I have over 30 orchids now.
smile.gif

I've wondered about such colors and, inspired by that strong red, went on a Phal search.  Without lifting my butt out of the seat, unfortunately.  Here are a couple paragraphs on the origin of such a color that I lifted from the Brooklyn Botanical Garden website (you can see the whole page at BBG - Phalaenopsis:

"And then there are the reds. To create a red Phalaenopsis, a yellow flower (either a species or a hybrid) is bred to a purple species or hybrid. This results in flowers with diffused pigmentation: Color is evenly distributed throughout the flower, giving the appearance of solid coloration. Shades range from orange-red to deep lavender-burgundy. Some examples are Phalaenopsis Cordova, Doritaenopsis Lonnie Morris, P. Sogo Pony, P. Sogo Rose, and P. Sogo Grape. In certain hybrids the color pigmentation is concentrated in some areas of the flower, and red spots appear over a yellow- or cream-colored background. Phalaenopsis Brother Purple, P. Sogo Prince, and P. Golden Peoker are a few spotted reds.

"Desert tones, or art shade flowers, which include orange, copper, rusty red, or bronze tones, result from the combination of red and lavender color pigment found on the surface of the flower with yellow and green color pigment found inside the flower tissue. The blending of pigments can't be controlled in breeding, and as a result, the progeny come in a broad spectrum of colors. Often the flower colors change as the flowers age, but in some hybrids the pigmentation remains stable and beautiful colors result. Especially noteworthy are Phalaenopsis Sweet Memory, P. Zuma Aussie Delight, P. Pago Pago, and P. Brother Sara Gold."

Back