Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My new orchid!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Oncidium subtribe comprises quite a few Genera. They will hybridize with each other to create intergenerics. The most frequently used Genera in the group would be Oncidium, Odontoglossum, Cochlioda (combine these first three into a man made genus-Wilsonara-which is what I think your plant may be) others often used are Miltonia, Miltoniopsis, Brassia, Aspasia, Ada, and who knows what else.
    By the way, P.A. Kiss, your Wildcat is a member of the man-made genus Colmanara. To add more confusion, many of these hybrids used a species Miltonia warscewiczii, which taxonomists have now moved out of the genus Miltonia, and placed it back into Oncidium, which means Miltonidiums using it are now straight up Oncidium hybrids!!!
    Ain't orchids fun!
    Trent

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok all my plant had on it was the main tag which said it was a Oncidium. There was a secondary tag that had "Wils. Golden Afternoon" and below that it had "1100DRMA" Other than that it has nothing else.
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it's a Wilsonara 'Golden Afternoon' and Trent was able to recognize it as a Wils. That's awfully impressive and I couldn't have in a million years. I'm not much on Oncs, other than for Tolumnia. But maybe it's a case of sour grapes because Tolumnias are the only ones I've done well with.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everglades Orchids, one of the foremost hybridizers of Oncidium intergenerics, is just on the other side of the county from us (Palm Beach County).
    We love Tolumnia! Wish I had the space to grow them, as small as they are. Our greenhouse is really set up for Nepenthes-very very humid. What does well for us is Bulbos, Grammatophyllum, Dendrobes, and oddly, certain Paphs.

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jeremiah has one that looks exactly like that
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12