What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My new orchid!

• Thread starter Wesley
  • Start date

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
Check out my new Oncidium! Isn't it a beuty! LOL I got it for 6 bucks.

10-19-04%20001.jpg
10-19-04%20003.jpg
10-19-04%20004.jpg

10-19-04%20005.jpg

Sorry about the poor image quality, I was in a hurry ot get these up.

i dont think its an Oncidium. ive got one of those its a close cousin but i for get the name. i think it starts with a Z. mines easy to grow though

Rattler

In that case I might have to put it under the ID section, and let someone help me out a little.

herenorthere will prolly know what it is. its a real close cousin to Oncidiums and you grow it the same way.

Rattler

Well, I knwo the following are realated to Oncidium:

Odontoglossum
Miltionopsis
Cochlioda

I odnt knwo of any others.

Lovely plant.
smile.gif

REALLY REALLY beyond extreamly difficult to even figure out what the Genera is much less the actual cross might be.

My best guess is a combination of Odontoglossum and Miltonopsis but it could be more complex .. there are about 6 different genera that all cross breed and make up dozens of new genera
smile_h_32.gif

Does it say anything on the label that might be an abbreviation for the genera and cross??

Orchid ID is always a headache. The hybridizers have gone wild. So many crosses it makes your head spin!

It is a beauty though.

I spent the last couple of days bringing in my orchids and found two with nice thick spikes initiating. Yay! One is an oncidium 'Wildcat' and the other is a mystery orchid. I've had it for years...so long I don't remember what it is (one of my first orchids). Its never done well no matter what I did with it. Now all of sudden it shoots up a spike. Its might be a phal...but the leaves are more narrow than most you see. If its a phal, I don't know why its been so difficult. So it will be fun to see what it turns out to be.
smile.gif

some phal species can be difficult PAK. besides keep in mind some of us have a heck of a time with Phals. i can keep them going good for about 8 months then every one takes a nose dive on me. i have foun some of the more "challenging" species of orchids to be easier for me and i dont know why.

Rattler

The Oncidium subtribe comprises quite a few Genera. They will hybridize with each other to create intergenerics. The most frequently used Genera in the group would be Oncidium, Odontoglossum, Cochlioda (combine these first three into a man made genus-Wilsonara-which is what I think your plant may be) others often used are Miltonia, Miltoniopsis, Brassia, Aspasia, Ada, and who knows what else.
By the way, P.A. Kiss, your Wildcat is a member of the man-made genus Colmanara. To add more confusion, many of these hybrids used a species Miltonia warscewiczii, which taxonomists have now moved out of the genus Miltonia, and placed it back into Oncidium, which means Miltonidiums using it are now straight up Oncidium hybrids!!!
Ain't orchids fun!
Trent

Ok all my plant had on it was the main tag which said it was a Oncidium. There was a secondary tag that had "Wils. Golden Afternoon" and below that it had "1100DRMA" Other than that it has nothing else.

So it's a Wilsonara 'Golden Afternoon' and Trent was able to recognize it as a Wils.  That's awfully impressive and I couldn't have in a million years.  I'm not much on Oncs, other than for Tolumnia.  But maybe it's a case of sour grapes because Tolumnias are the only ones I've done well with.

Everglades Orchids, one of the foremost hybridizers of Oncidium intergenerics, is just on the other side of the county from us (Palm Beach County).
We love Tolumnia! Wish I had the space to grow them, as small as they are. Our greenhouse is really set up for Nepenthes-very very humid. What does well for us is Bulbos, Grammatophyllum, Dendrobes, and oddly, certain Paphs.

Trent

Back