What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top of wish list

The orchid growers have been quiet lately, so I'll try to start a new topic with this question - what is perched at the top of your orchid wish list?

For me, it's a Hispaniella henekenii.  This species has been classified as an Oncidium and a Tolumnia and is now the only species in its own genus.  Whatever name is used, I love Tolumnias and anything like them.  And this is a fascinating one.

For me...select forms of Cattleya leuddemanniana and Cattleya nobilior....on second thought, select forms of Cattleya species!
I saw outrageous line bred Cattleya species when I was in Brazil years ago, and have never forgotten them.

Trent

I've been trying to get Schoenorchis fragrans.

I dunno - I guess on the top of the list would be for my only orchid, rossioglissum grande, to flower. I really like oncidium gardneri and Odontobrassia 'Kenneth Bivin'...

Peter

Rubra,
When I was in Brazil I saw fantastic O. gardneri and forbesii, the products of breeding selected clones to each other. They were growing side by side with Rossioglossum grande, and tons of Odontocidium and Colmanara hybrids from Europe. Also, a pure white form of Miltonia regnellii. My favorite was Sophronitis coccinea growing on the wooden columns of a lath house. All of this was about an hour's drive from Rio deJaneiro, up in the hills.
Trent

Did you see Laelias in Brazil? I love Tolumnias, but lust after Laelias. Until recently, I could only look, not touch, because they didn't like me. But my little L. fournieri is spiking. It's one of the lithophytic ones.

top of my list..............thats a hard one. i would like some more lil bity ones especially any that would do well with lowland neps, i LOVE most any orchid that at mature size is at home in a 2.5 inch pot or smaller but they arent to easy for me to find up here in the middle of nowhere so i dont have many. leafless orchids especially the leafless vanillia are on top. i have plainifoila and siamensis so the leafless species would be a nice addition. i have 3 different Stanhopeas now so thats covered. man why do you have to ask this when i dont have a computer at home to check my books and plant labels?

Dont murder me rattler.......................I already have Sophronitis grandiflora which is a true miniature, only 2-3 inches tall.........

I odnt knwo which ones I want for Xmas, hard decision when you have one of the worlds biggests orchid stores near you.....
Dino
cool.gif

i havent seen that one but i have seen the Genus before. the one i have seen isnt rare and a phone call and a credit card an i can have one here in a couple days. but problem is i prefer to pick out my own and ebay is about as close as i can come for anything other than the basic Dendrobiums and Phals. oh well its about to cold to ship anyways.

Rattler

Well I have a rare one *pokes tongue out*
smile_n_32.gif
I have Sophronitis grandiflora, the one you have seen is Sophronitis coccinea

no i do beleave it starts with a c but it wasnt coccinea. ill have to look sometime and see.

Rattler

I saw all this stuff at Floralia's nursery in Brazil. they have two ranges, one up in the hills with intermediate growing conditions and one in Niteroi across the bay from Rio, at sea level. It was the mountain greenhouses that had such a wide range of different orchids growing together. I saw Masdevallia vietchiana blooming side by side with Cattleyas, Lycastes, Oncidium intergenerics, species like Stanhopeas, Paphina (sp?), Coelognes, etc. It was true orchid paradise.
As for Laelias, unidentified rupiculious species and a tons of Laelia purpurata forms. There was a brick wall totally covered with various Pleurothallids.
What impressed me with the Sophronitis (in full scarlet bloom) was how it was thriving in conditions that were not at all like what orchid growers use here. No codling at all.

Trent

Orchids grow in Brazil the way dandelions grow around my house.  No coddling at all.  Maybe Rattler's thinking of Sophronitis cernua.  They're high on my wish list too.  I think I have a good chance for some kind of Sophronitis flask from Troy Meyers.  I just can't remember which species.

that would be the one Bruce, its a species i would really like. i would have it by now if other stuff would quit popping up and taking its place. one of the orchids i got from you at the NASC auction is blooming. i cant read the tag from the outside and its buried amoungst Nep pots so i havent tried to take the tag out yet to read it. ill get yah the name next week prolly as it sounds as if im leaving for the cabin tonite and may be gone till Sunday. sooner if i stay in town.

S. coccinea and S. grandiflora are the same plant....

I've seen a Sophronitis coccinea 'Grandiflora' (or maybe it was var. grandiflora) listed somewhere. But the names are usually considered synonyms.

Back