Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A word to the wise

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm holding out hope because the stalks are still green, and I have saved worse looking plants that were supposed to be unsavable. But this is what happens:
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/wesley/Feb%20'05/Dead%20or%20dying%20orchid.JPG[/img]

It came in the pot it is in but it was also in a plastic pot inside the clay pot.

Edit: My Phalenopsis(sp) is practcally unkillable. It has gone up to to weeks bone dry and has sat in water for up to a week, it has been flowering off of the same stock since November.... and is still going.
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's very savable. I would take it out of the pot, cut off the flower stem, and snap off all those dying leaves. If it has any good roots, I'd repot it in new mix (whatever you like best). If there are no good roots, I'd put it in a ziploc with moist sphagnum and keep it in modest light until it starts rooting. Then I'd pot it.

I have a Paph niveum blooming now from inside a ziploc. It came with questionable roots in a trade last fall and I did the sphag & bag thang. A bud started after a couple months and, rather than disturb the happy plant, I let it bloom in there, with the flower sticking out of the bag. It's the first mottled leaf Paph I've ever bloomed and this tells me I really should consider a terrarium.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]If it has any good roots, I'd repot it in new mix (whatever you like best). If there are no good roots, I'd put it in a ziploc with moist sphagnum and keep it in modest light until it starts rooting. Then I'd pot it.
    Is a new soil nesesary? I can definately check the roots but I don't really see why I need to shock it by getting rid of the Sphagnum moss already there. I will be more than glad to get rid of the flower... it's not very pretty(it was a sale plant).
    ~Wes~

My Growlist

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Wesley @ Feb. 14 2005,9:16)]
    Quote[/b] ]If it has any good roots, I'd repot it in new mix (whatever you like best). If there are no good roots, I'd put it in a ziploc with moist sphagnum and keep it in modest light until it starts rooting. Then I'd pot it.
    Is a new soil nesesary? I can definately check the roots but I don't really see why I need to shock it by getting rid of the Sphagnum moss already there. I will be more than glad to get rid of the flower... it's not very pretty(it was a sale plant).
    its best to put it in a new soil because when you buy an orchid the soil is usually decomposed or old
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks fairly fresh, like the moss is bright "white".
    ~Wes~

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    about the only orchids i put in LFS are cuttings. i sometimes throw some LFS in with the bark i normally use if its one that is notorious for not getting watered enough cause the lil bit of moss hold some water in longer. you will probably get in less trouble if your fairly new to orchids if you stick to regular orchid bark.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you don't grow neps on LFS?
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    me? yes i use LFS for Neps. but orchids and Neps are two different groups of plants. what works for one doesnt nessesarily work for another. i would rather use bark for orchids as it drys out faster. most orchid's pseudobulbs store water there for they can go without water for a bit if they dry out. yes i realize not all orchids have pseudobulbs but my Phal does just fine being kept fairly dry. my Vandas are kept on the dry side but in high humidity with my lowland neps. most common orchids like Catts, Phals, Dendrobiums and Oncidiums grow in fairly hostile habitats. sure they generally come from the rainforest but high up in those trees they do dry out on occation. im 100% with Bruce with most species err on the side of to lil water, bark really helps with this.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast