What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oops

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
I'm new to Orchids.I just got my first one a week ago.It's a Monteray Bay Orchid.Unfortunetly I over watered it and now all the leaves have gone yellow.What can I do to make the leaves nice and green again?Thanks
smile.gif
*Niki*(Trapper7)

hi Niki,
Could we have a photo?

If the leaves are yellow they seldom recover again.........they will drop off and you wont get green leaves untill new ones grow.

OH man!!! That sucks!! You don't want a photo,it's ugly now
smile_h_32.gif
*Niki*
smile_h_32.gif

Niki,
I need to see a photo to see what species it is and so I can telly ou how to look after it properly and stuff, so please ost a photo.
smile.gif

Dino

Here it is

It's a Monteray Bay. *Niki*

If it was over watered and the leaves turned yellow because of the watering, I'd be worried about root rot.

Oh goody
smile_h_32.gif
*Niki*
smile_h_32.gif

looks like an Odontoglossum to me......water only when soil is completely dry, not just on the top but down below the surface aswell, or you will get root rot and in some cases, leaves turning yellow.

No I'm pretty sure it's a Monteray Bay.The lady I got it from specializes in Orchids.But that's for the info on watering
smile.gif
*Niki*

When ever you get new orchids I would recommend ropoting if the mix has moss or is constantly wet for more then a day (unless the orchid is blooming, wait or the orchid should be kept wet). A new mix is required every 6 months to a year unless you use longfibered spahgnum which is usually 1.5 years. I would recommend using clay pots filled atlest half full with packing peanuts. They keep things nice and dry. Then you can water every morning and never have to worry about rot.

It is a Miltoniopsis hybrid. The label says "Milt. Chris Ellis x Monteray Bay", which is a fairly common crossing.

It wants semi-shade, humid, coolish conditions (12C-25C) and reasonable moisture. Pot in bark chips and water when the bark is dried out. It's not keen on being sprayed with water though.

If you tap it out of its pot and check the roots you should be able to see if they are healthy (white/silver and firm, with a noticeable growing tip of a different colour), or not (grey/white/brown and shivelled). If the roots are bad, repot the plant in bark and don't water for a few weeks. If the roots are actually decayed, they are better cut back just enough to anchor the plant in the pot.

If you take a look over at the UK Orchid Forum and run a search, there are some threads showing pictures of healthy roots for you to see.

Cheers.

Awesome,thanks
smile.gif
It already is in bark chips,that's how I got it from the nursery.Here is a pic of the plant and it's roots.Can you tell me if the roots are dead or not?Thank you vert much
smile.gif

*Niki*

Here's just the roots.

*Niki*

They look dead to me
smile_h_32.gif
How long have you had this plant, and how long ago did the leaves start to tuen yellow?

If you cut the roots back and repot it, it will need placing out of the sun in a plastic bag and not watering (just the residual humidity from damp bark in the bag is enough). In a few weeks you might see roots emerging from the base of the bulbs, at which point you can remove it from the bag. Just spray these roots at first, moving onto proper watering once the plant is established in several months.

However the plant itself looks unhappy. Is it all still firm? It might no pull through this treatment.

Arrrggghhh this isn't good news
smile_h_32.gif
I'm actually crying,I feel so attached to these plants!It's ridiculous!Thank goodness no one is home to witness this.They would send me to the mental institution! Anyways,I bought the plant...lets see...a week ago or maybe 9 days ago.It turned yellow about 3 days ago.I think the leaves are still firm tho,but the flowers that were about to bloom are hanging down,looking pretty dead
smile_h_32.gif
I will try your method and pray.Thanks for your help.*Niki*
smile_h_32.gif

Just be sure not leave it somewhere in direct sun, or too hot - you will stew it! I kinda have a feeling that the plant couldn't have got damaged in only a week... take it back and ask for a replacement?

I already emailed the person I got it from and told her what happened.I'm just waiting for an answer.*Niki*

So hey you guys remember my dead Orchid?(Look at pics above)Well I did what you told me to Rob-Rah,and now I have a small green something growing out of the base of the plant.Could it be a baby Orchid starting to grow??Here's a pic but it's hard to see,but it's that tiny green seedling in the centre.Thanks
smile.gif
~Niki~

Life! Yessssssss!!!!!!!!!!
smile.gif

Sorry to be such a pessimisit, but those leaves doesn't look orchidish.  Maybe a newly sprouted seedling of something else?  I don't like the looks of those olive colored spots among the roots.  That looks like mold and the fact it's growing there isn't good.  What have you been doing with the plant?  An orchid isn't dead until it's shriveled up and dried out dead.  But I'm afraid that one is approaching it.

Back