Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You just gotta love home depot!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got mine in a bathroom like I said. I don't know if I will put them outside as there is really no way to keep them out of direct sun over here. The orchids I have are all getting very bright indirect light. The sun never touches my orchids. Now again, I am growing different species than a lot of people.

I do have temperate Cyps that are outside year round. They need no special treatment other than to be planted in shade and in the right location.

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I should have mentioned that they only get a little direct sunlight in the early morning and late evening. They are on the north side of the house which is shaded most of the day.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paphs are a diverse genus. The mottled leaf species are typically intolerant of cold and bright light. Those with clear green leaves generally tolerate and often prefer cooler temperatures and some take pretty strong light. Some need limestone in their mix and others don't.

I let my Paph insigne, a green leaf species, get lots of sun in the summer. It hangs high in my quince tree and gets only a little dappling from the quince leaves.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    herenorthere, I love your orchid posts.

Yes, the Paphs in my bathroom are mottled leaved as was the Paph I just purchased. Those Paphs get no direct light what so ever but the light they are getting is very bright. The three that I have put out an incredible amount of new growth in just the last few months since I have had them. I planned on placing the new Paph with the other mottled leaf Paphs. I do have several of the green leaved Paphs and they do get a little sun but not much. They also get a lot of bright indirect light. Those seem to be doing fine now although they haven't put out the growth that the mottled leaved orchids have. Maybe I should play around with their location a bit and let them have a little bit more direct light.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My my my...that 'Raisin Pie' gets around. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] I have a Raisin Pie hybrid too...love it.

Larry...that is a beautiful paph! I might have to look for that one. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] I am so tired of vini types...I'm looking for some color variations. I would love to get a Paph 'Limelight'.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12