What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You just gotta love home depot!

$12.96 in and amongst a bunch of commons right next to the top soil I needed a few bags of.

e22d6966.jpg

Paph. Rainsin Pie 'Backers Square' HCC/AOS x Paph. Hsinying Web #11. At least that's what the little stake said.

Laura,
Very nice find. Mine had the molted leaves also, which I really like.

Home Depot is where I found mine last year. Mine is:
(Paph. Supersuk "Eureke" AM/AOS x Paph. Raisen Pie "Hsinying") X SIB

133orchid.jpg

Tasty aren't they!  For whatever reason I can grow these and they seem to really take off. I don't do much special for them other than to keep them in a bathroom out of direct light and spritz them with water whenever I remember. They really are statement making plants with those impressive flowers. The last one I bought from a K-Mart that was similar is sending up another flower scape right now. I see several other orchids are forming flower scapes. I can't wait to see the flowers as I have forgotten what they looked like.

Thanks guys!  I was pretty proud of myself for spotting that little jewel. And Steve, yours is actually more impressive than mine with that pigeon blood coloration of a ruby.

Wow, what a great deal.  They usually go for $21.97
Love the Paphs/Phrags/Cypripediums
smile.gif

Here's mine, Paphiopedilum hirsutissimum
p_hirsutissimum.jpg

Very nice Larry! And you can grow them outside too!  I actually have a preference for Cyps. There are several that are native here so those particular species can be grown outside here.  Yay!  More space for more orchids!

do they need a big temp swing?
can i grow them in relaxed lowland conditions with my neps?

Larry,
I like the color of the flowers on yours alot.

JustLikeAPill,
I live in SE PA. I place my orchids outside when the weather is above 60 degrees. In the late fall till early spring I grow them in my kitchen.

I've got mine in a bathroom like I said.  I don't know if I will put them outside as there is really no way to keep them out of direct sun over here. The orchids I have are all getting very bright indirect light.  The sun never touches my orchids. Now again, I am growing different species than a lot of people.

I do have temperate Cyps that are outside year round.  They need no special treatment other than to be planted in shade and in the right location.

I guess I should have mentioned that they only get a little direct sunlight in the early morning and late evening. They are on the north side of the house which is shaded most of the day.

Paphs are a diverse genus.  The mottled leaf species are typically intolerant of cold and bright light.  Those with clear green leaves generally tolerate and often prefer cooler temperatures and some take pretty strong light.  Some need limestone in their mix and others don't.

I let my Paph insigne, a green leaf species, get lots of sun in the summer.  It hangs high in my quince tree and gets only a little dappling from the quince leaves.

herenorthere, I love your orchid posts.

Yes, the Paphs in my bathroom are mottled leaved as was the Paph I just purchased. Those Paphs get no direct light what so ever but the light they are getting is very bright. The three that I have put out an incredible amount of new growth in just the last few months since I have had them. I planned on placing the new Paph with the other mottled leaf Paphs.  I do have several of the green leaved Paphs and they do get a little sun but not much. They also get a lot of bright indirect light.  Those seem to be doing fine now although they haven't put out the growth that the mottled leaved orchids have.  Maybe I should play around with their location a bit and let them have a little bit more direct light.

My my my...that 'Raisin Pie' gets around.
smile.gif
I have a Raisin Pie hybrid too...love it.

Larry...that is a beautiful paph! I might have to look for that one.
smile.gif
I am so tired of vini types...I'm looking for some color variations. I would love to get a Paph 'Limelight'.

Back