Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paphiopedilum

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paphs like a well-draining, airy mix. I personally do not like sphagnum for a mix unless its loose and mixed with other media. I have received more half-dead Phals because some flower seller packed the sphag too tightly, then soaked it with water... so it remains wet and soggy for days on end. You end up with a dehydrated plant. I have so many half dead Phals its not funny. (I'm given the almost dead ones to save). Not too many orchids like wet, soggy "feet".

However my phrags do sit in water.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well no greenhouse, was planning on putting on an west-facing window sill. Does that make a difference in the mix. Sounds like I should take the sphag out and pot it up in a straight mix of orchid bark, charcoal & perlite?
    You don't need an iron chest if you have a sharp brain and a silk tongue.

GROWLIST
    Wolf's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Craig, you might want to find out what kind of Paph you have before you stick it in that window. I fried two pretty good only to later learn they couldn’t handle direct light. The mix you mentioned sounds fine.

Hey Dino. Don’t be getting overly impressed. I started with native Cyps about 5 years ago. All died that year. I tried again the next year with somewhat better success. As of this year, I see nothing coming up just yet. This happens with unseasonably cold weather. Here’s what I had: 1 Cypripedium acaule, 3 C. kentuckiense, 3 C. reginae forma albolabium, 3 C, candidum, and I was looking to buy 2 C. parviflorum var. pubescens and 2 C. formosanum. Think I better wait until I see what is going on here. I also have bog orchids and those seem to be doing perfectly fine. I have Calopogan tuberoses alba, Spiranthes cernua odorata, S. lacera, some sort of Plananthera (forgot), as well as Habenaria repens. The Water Spider Orchids are gorgeous and I just added that last year. I only have one of those and I’m thinking I’d like quite a few more if that particular plant comes back. I have what I believe to be Epipactis helleborine (European origin) and that was already on the property however my girlfriend thinks I may have misidentified this and that it is actually Coeloglossum viride which is a Green Bracted Orchid that is native. That’s what I have/had outside. I should know what made it in about 6 weeks.

As far as the orchids in my home, I just started this past February. I can’t even identify half of what I bought. I bought them because I liked their leaves and blooms and figured I’d give them a whirl. A few came with little stakes that had the binomial on them and a few I was able to call the source to ask for the name of what I bought but other than that, lots of mottled leaf unidentified Paphs. For whatever reason, I seem to have ideal conditions for these. High humidity and a tremendous amount of indirect light in the area where I have them all set out. All of the orchids I have (even the two I originally scorched) are pushing out new growth and most are either flowering again or sending up flower stalks. Call this beginners luck as I just found a small green and white slipper flower on one of my baby Paphs hiding behind foliage of other plants today. It is really pretty. So, am I an orchid grower- no. But I certainly do seem to have a horse shoe up my rear when it comes to all the orchids I have over here according to my friends who are absolutely “jaw dropping” in shock that mine arent' all dead. Actually, I am sort of in shock too as I purchased them sort of expecting that they would go to orchid heaven within a very short time. I got lucky in having purchased plants that just happen to be doing well in this one bathroom of my home combined with getting some tips here and reading a lot of information about growing them on the web. Next I want to try a Sago Palm for in that bathroom. I want to get one that is about 5’ tall though. Wouldn’t it be neat to arrange orchids around a Sago and to also add a few orchids to wall pockets?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ORCHID PAPHIOPEDILUM MACABRE X SHADOW MAGIC X RED MAUDE is the orchid that my lady purchased and now it is up to me to make sure that it lives. Even though I have absolutly no experience with orchids. She went out and bought a really nice pot for it also, but as I said earlier it was undrained. So I have drilled some holes in the bottom of it for drainage, hope that it will work. And if I am unable to keep it alive atleast until it blooms she will be quite unhappy with me and I am sure that she will accuse me of taking better care of my CP's [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] . So any advice on where I should put it to grow best would be appreciated. Thanks Craig

GROWLIST
    Wolf's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's one heck of a hybrid there. I think it is time to call in the heavy gun as opposed to me a mere lightweight. Better see if herenorthere is out there lurking.

About all I can think of is that if you have mottled (variegated leaves) try it out in bright light with no direct sun. Wait for a month and see if it is happy. If you have solid green leaves, try it out for a month or so with a combination of indirect and a little direct sun. If the leaves start turning yellow, that might be a sign of too much direct light although it could be too much water. I think it is probably better for these plants if you err on the side of too little water as opposed to too much.

I will say a prayer for you as you face the challenges of keeping the "Little Woman" happy. I'll think of you as you sprtiz your new ward daily.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mottled leaf or "Maudiae" type Paphs like shade. The green and white flowered 'alba' forms seem more sensitive to bright light than the typical 'coloratum' and 'vini' forms. They can be grown side buy side with Phals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Laura, I need all the help I can get. Sounds like I now have a pretty good idea on what I need to do to keep it alive, hopefully long enough to flower. I guess because she sees me growing other plants she thinks it is ok to purchase a plant that she likes the look of the flower (better be a darn nice flower for what she paid for it!) in the picture bring it home and say "Make it flower for me!".

GROWLIST
    Wolf's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey listen...

Would your conscience allow you to swap out on her if the one you are supposed to make flower doesn't "perform"?

I'd be willing to send you a photo of each and every one I have and you can pick the one that most closely resembles what you have. If I don't have a match, I'm sure somebody else here would be more than willing to bail your happy derriere out. I realize it is cheating BUT... all's fair in love and war and we can't have you being accused of favoring CPs over orchids UNTIL after your girlfriend is walked down the aisle as your lovely bride. There's time enough for unhealthy plant discourse in the years to come.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast