Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paphiopedilum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I am certainly glad that she does not read these forums. She would certainly take the orchids death if it meant she got a ring!

This is the picture she got of what the flower should look like.

While your offer is most defianlty something I would do, and will consider if it comes to that I had better try on this one, so that it doesnt go from just leaves to a flower over night. I will try and get a picture of what it looks like currently.
    You don't need an iron chest if you have a sharp brain and a silk tongue.

GROWLIST
    Wolf's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh oh oh oh oh! A friend of mine bought a very similar plant at Home Depot for $24.99 at the same time I bought my last one for around $13. I know the leaves aren't showing in the photo but I bet that's not a mottled leaf Paph. I'd keep it out of that window or at the very least, I'd move it far enough away so that it didn't get full sun. Does your bathroom, where the humidity would be real high from you two taking showers, have a window in it? Is there anywhere you can place that plant where it gets some early morning sun for maybe an hour or so to start that you could increase over the weeks to come until you think you have the right amount of light? Maybe you have a window that has a sheer in front of it? You could create a pebble tray under the plant to increase the relative humidity around it. You could place the new pot above the water level. Sorry, please take what I write with a grain of salt as thoughts are racing through my head.

Here's what healthy roots should look like in my opinion-

Just to give you a way out. Look at the roots of her plant and if they don't look anything like mine... shake your head and look remorseful and tell her that you will do your best but no promises. Offer to make it up to her by buying her a really nice CP if her beloved orchid dies. Just kidding. Incidentally, I had just totally flushed that plant and was going to set it back in the sink to drain before putting it back in its pot. I do not put my plants back in their pots that wet. I also ended up repotting that plant a few days later when I picked up more orchid bark.

I don't have any pigeon blood red flowering Paphs but if push came to shove, I'm sure my girlfriend would pass hers on for a good cause.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Laura, that's a Phal, not a Paph, isn't it? Paph roots don't look anything like that. In fact, healthy Paph roots look a lot like dead roots of other orchids. Paph roots are a mystery to me, but they'll never look like the healthy roots of "normal" orchids. They are dark and have a sort of fibrous surface. An actively growing tip is noticeable but, otherwise, I have trouble knowing whether a Paph root is happy or sad or somewhere in between.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good! All the better for wolf9striker in pleading his case with the little woman if I screwed up and photographed Phal roots instead of Paph roots. There's no way the roots I photographed will ever compare to what he has. Let me run up stairs and see if there is a plant stake in that plant. I think I remember which one it was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a Phal! Something called 'Zuma Camreal' I knew that- grin chuckle laugh!

Say Craig, just trying to lend a hand. Aren't you glad I posted a photo of the wrong roots for you? Who's your buddy? Better get your help from herenorthere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a link to a page at the Antec (www..ladyslipper.com) website showing healthy Paph roots - http://ladyslipper.com/paphrts.htm. I'd be horrified to find such things on other orchids. I think you took care of the major threat by drilling holes in the bottom of that pot. I'll do some research on that particular hybrid and try to get you some detailed information.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will add something here too.
    Keep the plants in too much shade rather than too much sun, Paphs are generally from darker areas and enjoy the same amount of light as Phals.

If the plant has plain green leaves it is probably derived from highland parents and likes it cooler than plants with mottled leaves, which are generally lowland. There are exceptions to this rule so this is only general.

Cheers, Troy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Thanks Laura after I saw your roots and looked at mine I was feeling really bad and was having to think of something to tell Annie as to why I let 'her' plant die.

Herenorthere - I will appreciate any information you can supply. I do have a question about the media. I have it planted in a mix of orchid bark, charcoal & perlite. Everything I have read says the mix should be well draining but there should be water available to the roots. When I water the plant in this mix the water seems to run straight through, and I dont understand how any water stays in the mix?

Right now it is a west facing window sill so it gets sun as it falls in the sky. I could put it in a east windowsill so it would get sun as it comes up, or I could put it in the window that I use as a grow room so it would be more humid but the window faces north so it would not get any direct light just brightness. Any ideas?

Craig
    You don't need an iron chest if you have a sharp brain and a silk tongue.

GROWLIST
    Wolf's Growlist

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast