Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paphiopedilum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My girlfriend just purchased a Paphiopedilum and neither of us know much about orchids. It came in an undrained pot in a media of sphagnum, bark, charcoal & perlite with about 2 inches of bark on the bottom. Does this sound ok? Also, how often should I water, I am sure it is different then with CP's? Thanks
    You don't need an iron chest if you have a sharp brain and a silk tongue.

GROWLIST
    Wolf's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Undrained sounds like bad news.

Care instructions.
    There's a tunnel at the end of the light...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paphs most definitely need good drainage. If its blooming, enjoy the flower, keeping the media just barely moist. Once the flower fades, repot into a typical orchid type pot. Repot in a Paph mix. For info on growing Paphiopedilum orchids, check out Antec Labs website. They have tons of info on Paphs, as well as great pics. Don't remember the exact web address, but a search will surely get you there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. Trent what would be considered an orchid type pot? And does the mix I described earlier sound like a paph mix?
    You don't need an iron chest if you have a sharp brain and a silk tongue.

GROWLIST
    Wolf's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure exactly what a paph is but I know I probibly have one. Anyway an orchid pot is clay (preferably) with the 4 slits running up the side. You can also get plastic ones that are similar (have holes on the bottom side). Keep the orchid dry unless otherwise instructed. IF the medium gets wet and stays wet for over 8 hours get new medium. I am not sure what to use as a good mix for them but you can try
    pure longfibered sphagnum with packing peanuts in about half the pot
    coconut cubes with the packing peanuts
    orchid bark with activated charcole and the peanuts.

Basicaly the peanuts are there for kepping it dry. The fewer holes in the pot (and if its plastic especially) you want more peanuts. I grow my phalanopsis (sp?) in almost pure packing peanuts but with a top dressing of LFS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Paph is a Tropical Slipper Orchid, Paphiopedilum. I have native Slipper Orchids but they are outside year round and you'd call them Cyps.

Paphs in general seem to like a nice airy mix. Standing in water is definitely not good. I water my plants once a week by hanging them over a sink and dousing them. I then let them sit in the sink to drain before I put them back in their pot. After that, I spritz them with water at least once a day and sometimes twice. Sometimes I forget to douse and drain them once a week and they are no worse for the wear. Regardless of whether your girlfriend's plant is blooming or not, you should consider repotting it. Somebody here told me that by the time the plant blooms, the potting medium is generally spent. Sure enough, every plant I had to repot had decomposing bark and other inidentifiable organic matter in it. I used Schultz's orchid bark mix and I tossed in horticultural grade charcoal as well as a little bit of pumice that I had that was left over. So far every species of orchid I have seems to like that and most are flowering again or sending up flower stalks. For pots, I have started using aquatic plant baskets (around $2 a piece at Home Depot, Lowes, and PetSmart) and then I place those into a decorative pot with "finger" space around the perimeter for even better air circulation. There are threads here about using special wooden hanging pots with sources to order them from as well as directions to make them yourself. I believe a lot of the Nep growers are using them also. There are also glazed pots that you can buy that have cut outs on all 4 sides. These seem to only come in smaller sizes and my plants outgrew them. If you would like one of those, I can send you one. They are pretty (they are also expensive) but I don't think they are actually functional for anything other than their decorative value as people are ramming pots down into them that have no splices.

Other than that, you might want to keep your orchid out of direct sun until you know whether it can take it or not. I keep pretty much every orchid I have out of direct sun but there are a lot of species out there that can take sun. Mine all get very bright indirect light though as I tend to purchase only those with similar cultural requirements to the ones I already have because of limitations in the area that I grow them. There is a member here named herenorthere who seems to really know his/her orchids. If herenorthere doesn't spot this thread, use the pm and share the name of the orchid you have and I bet you'll get your information as to light requirements in a jiffy.

Oh, here's the link to antec-
    http://us.f807.mail.yahoo.com/ym/log...=6ir7p7t3h9j8c
    They have nice information there.

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh Laura Laura Laura...........I never knew you grew orchids, you should have said as I have over 42 of them! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    Dino
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wolf9,
    The mix you have would probably work if you have a greenhouse up there in Michigan. Probably work under lights too.
    Personally, I would do away with the sphagnum moss. Save it for the Neps. We're in the subtropics, so our mix is very open: We use med. grade coconut husk chips and dynarock. They love it! Also, underpot. Paphs like to be crowded at the roots. We use regular plastic pots with the large drainage holes in the bottom. My favorites are the Rand Aircones, designed specially for Paphs. They are square, which is more space economical on a bench. A 3.5 inch sq. works great for 80 percent of typical blooming size Paphs.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast