What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paphiopedilum

My girlfriend just purchased a Paphiopedilum and neither of us know much about orchids. It came in an undrained pot in a media of sphagnum, bark, charcoal & perlite with about 2 inches of bark on the bottom. Does this sound ok? Also, how often should I water, I am sure it is different then with CP's? Thanks

Paphs most definitely need good drainage. If its blooming, enjoy the flower, keeping the media just barely moist. Once the flower fades, repot into a typical orchid type pot. Repot in a Paph mix. For info on growing Paphiopedilum orchids, check out Antec Labs website. They have tons of info on Paphs, as well as great pics. Don't remember the exact web address, but a search will surely get you there.

Thanks guys. Trent what would be considered an orchid type pot? And does the mix I described earlier sound like a paph mix?

Not sure exactly what a paph is but I know I probibly have one. Anyway an orchid pot is clay (preferably) with the 4 slits running up the side. You can also get plastic ones that are similar (have holes on the bottom side). Keep the orchid dry unless otherwise instructed. IF the medium gets wet and stays wet for over 8 hours get new medium. I am not sure what to use as a good mix for them but you can try
pure longfibered sphagnum with packing peanuts in about half the pot
coconut cubes with the packing peanuts
orchid bark with activated charcole and the peanuts.

Basicaly the peanuts are there for kepping it dry. The fewer holes in the pot (and if its plastic especially) you want more peanuts. I grow my phalanopsis (sp?) in almost pure packing peanuts but with a top dressing of LFS

A Paph is a Tropical Slipper Orchid, Paphiopedilum. I have native Slipper Orchids but they are outside year round and you'd call them Cyps.

Paphs in general seem to like a nice airy mix. Standing in water is definitely not good. I water my plants once a week by hanging them over a sink and dousing them. I then let them sit in the sink to drain before I put them back in their pot.  After that, I spritz them with water at least once a day and sometimes twice. Sometimes I forget to douse and drain them once a week and they are no worse for the wear.  Regardless of whether your girlfriend's plant is blooming or not, you should consider repotting it. Somebody here told me that by the time the plant blooms, the potting medium is generally spent. Sure enough, every plant I had to repot had decomposing bark and other inidentifiable organic matter in it.  I used Schultz's orchid bark mix and I tossed in horticultural grade charcoal as well as a little bit of pumice that I had that was left over. So far every species of orchid I have seems to like that and most are flowering again or sending up flower stalks. For pots, I have started using aquatic plant baskets (around $2 a piece at Home Depot, Lowes, and PetSmart) and then I place those into a decorative pot with "finger" space around the perimeter for even better air circulation. There are threads here about using special wooden hanging pots with sources to order them from as well as directions to make them yourself.  I believe a lot of the Nep growers are using them also. There are also glazed pots that you can buy that have cut outs on all 4 sides. These seem to only come in smaller sizes and my plants outgrew them.  If you would like one of those, I can send you one. They are pretty (they are also expensive) but I don't think they are actually functional for anything other than their decorative value as people are ramming pots down into them that have no splices.  

Other than that, you might want to keep your orchid out of direct sun until you know whether it can take it or not. I keep pretty much every orchid I have out of direct sun but there are a lot of species out there that can take sun.  Mine all get very bright indirect light though as I tend to purchase only those with similar cultural requirements to the ones I already have because of limitations in the area that I grow them. There is a member here named herenorthere who seems to really know his/her orchids. If herenorthere doesn't spot this thread, use the pm and share the name of the orchid you have and I bet you'll get your information as to light requirements in a jiffy.

Oh, here's the link to antec-
http://us.f807.mail.yahoo.com/ym/login?.rand=6ir7p7t3h9j8c
They have nice information there.

oh Laura Laura Laura...........I never knew you grew orchids, you should have said as I have over 42 of them!
smile_n_32.gif

Dino

Wolf9,
The mix you have would probably work if you have a greenhouse up there in Michigan. Probably work under lights too.
Personally, I would do away with the sphagnum moss. Save it for the Neps. We're in the subtropics, so our mix is very open: We use med. grade coconut husk chips and dynarock. They love it! Also, underpot. Paphs like to be crowded at the roots. We use regular plastic pots with the large drainage holes in the bottom. My favorites are the Rand Aircones, designed specially for Paphs. They are square, which is more space economical on a bench. A 3.5 inch sq. works great for 80 percent of typical blooming size Paphs.

Paphs like a well-draining, airy mix. I personally do not like sphagnum for a mix unless its loose and mixed with other media. I have received more half-dead Phals because some flower seller packed the sphag too tightly, then soaked it with water... so it remains wet and soggy for days on end. You end up with a dehydrated plant. I have so many half dead Phals its not funny. (I'm given the almost dead ones to save). Not too many orchids like wet, soggy "feet".

However my phrags do sit in water.

Well no greenhouse, was planning on putting on an west-facing window sill. Does that make a difference in the mix. Sounds like I should take the sphag out and pot it up in a straight mix of orchid bark, charcoal & perlite?

Hey Craig, you might want to find out what kind of Paph you have before you stick it in that window.  I fried two pretty good only to later learn they couldn’t handle direct light.  The mix you mentioned sounds fine.

Hey Dino.  Don’t be getting overly impressed. I started with native Cyps about 5 years ago. All died that year.  I tried again the next year with somewhat better success.  As of this year, I see nothing coming up just yet. This happens with unseasonably cold weather. Here’s what I had: 1 Cypripedium acaule, 3 C. kentuckiense, 3 C. reginae forma albolabium, 3 C, candidum, and I was looking to buy 2 C. parviflorum var. pubescens and 2 C. formosanum. Think I better wait until I see what is going on here. I also have bog orchids and those seem to be doing perfectly fine. I have Calopogan tuberoses alba, Spiranthes cernua odorata, S. lacera, some sort of Plananthera (forgot), as well as Habenaria repens. The Water Spider Orchids are gorgeous and I just added that last year.  I only have one of those and I’m thinking I’d like quite a few more if that particular plant comes back. I have what I believe to be Epipactis helleborine (European origin) and that was already on the property however my girlfriend thinks I may have misidentified this and that it is actually Coeloglossum viride which is a Green Bracted Orchid that is native.  That’s what I have/had outside. I should know what made it in about 6 weeks.

As far as the orchids in my home, I just started this past February. I can’t even identify half of what I bought. I bought them because I liked their leaves and blooms and figured I’d give them a whirl.  A few came with little stakes that had the binomial on them and a few I was able to call the source to ask for the name of what I bought but other than that, lots of mottled leaf unidentified Paphs. For whatever reason, I seem to have ideal conditions for these. High humidity and a tremendous amount of indirect light in the area where I have them all set out.  All of the orchids I have (even the two I originally scorched) are pushing out new growth and most are either flowering again or sending up flower stalks. Call this beginners luck as I just found a small green and white slipper flower on one of my baby Paphs hiding behind foliage of other plants today. It is really pretty.  So, am I an orchid grower- no. But I certainly do seem to have a horse shoe up my rear when it comes to all the orchids I have over here according to my friends who are absolutely “jaw dropping” in shock that mine arent' all dead.  Actually, I am sort of in shock too as I purchased them sort of expecting that they would go to orchid heaven within a very short time.  I got lucky in having purchased plants that just happen to be doing well in this one bathroom of my home combined with getting some tips here and reading a lot of information about growing them on the web. Next I want to try a Sago Palm for in that bathroom. I want to get one that is about 5’ tall though. Wouldn’t it be neat to arrange orchids around a Sago and to also add a few orchids to wall pockets?

ORCHID PAPHIOPEDILUM MACABRE X SHADOW MAGIC X RED MAUDE is the orchid that my lady purchased and now it is up to me to make sure that it lives. Even though I have absolutly no experience with orchids. She went out and bought a really nice pot for it also, but as I said earlier it was undrained. So I have drilled some holes in the bottom of it for drainage, hope that it will work. And if I am unable to keep it alive atleast until it blooms she will be quite unhappy with me and I am sure that she will accuse me of taking better care of my CP's
smile_m_32.gif
. So any advice on where I should put it to grow best would be appreciated. Thanks Craig

That's one heck of a hybrid there.  I think it is time to call in the heavy gun as opposed to me a mere lightweight.  Better see if herenorthere is out there lurking.

About all I can think of is that if you have mottled (variegated leaves) try it out in bright light with no direct sun. Wait for a month and see if it is happy. If you have solid green leaves, try it out for a month or so with a combination of indirect and a little direct sun. If the leaves start turning yellow, that might be a sign of too much direct light although it could be too much water. I think it is probably better for these plants if you err on the side of too little water as opposed to too much.

I will say a prayer for you as you face the challenges of keeping the "Little Woman" happy. I'll think of you as you sprtiz your new ward daily.

Mottled leaf or "Maudiae" type Paphs like shade. The green and white flowered 'alba' forms seem more sensitive to bright light than the typical 'coloratum' and 'vini' forms. They can be grown side buy side with Phals.

Thanks Laura, I need all the help I can get. Sounds like I now have a pretty good idea on what I need to do to keep it alive, hopefully long enough to flower. I guess because she sees me growing other plants she thinks it is ok to purchase a plant that she likes the look of the flower (better be a darn nice flower for what she paid for it!) in the picture bring it home and say "Make it flower for me!".

Hey listen...

Would your conscience allow you to swap out on her if the one you are supposed to make flower doesn't "perform"?

I'd be willing to send you a photo of each and every one I have and you can pick the one that most closely resembles what you have.  If I don't have a match, I'm sure somebody else here would be more than willing to bail your happy derriere out.  I realize it is cheating BUT... all's fair in love and war and we can't have you being accused of favoring CPs over orchids UNTIL after your girlfriend is walked down the aisle as your lovely bride. There's time enough for unhealthy plant discourse in the years to come.

Well I am certainly glad that she does not read these forums. She would certainly take the orchids death if it meant she got a ring!

This is the picture she got of what the flower should look like.
e3_1_b.JPG

While your offer is most defianlty something I would do, and will consider if it comes to that I had better try on this one, so that it doesnt go from just leaves to a flower over night. I will try and get a picture of what it looks like currently.

Oh oh oh oh oh!  A friend of mine bought a very similar plant at Home Depot for $24.99 at the same time I bought my last one for around $13. I know the leaves aren't showing in the photo but I bet that's not a mottled leaf Paph. I'd keep it out of that window or at the very least, I'd move it far enough away so that it didn't get full sun. Does your bathroom, where the humidity would be real high from you two taking showers, have a window in it? Is there anywhere you can place that plant where it gets some early morning sun for maybe an hour or so to start that you could increase over the weeks to come until you think you have the right amount of light?  Maybe you have a window that has a sheer in front of it?  You could create a pebble tray under the plant to increase the relative humidity around it. You could place the new pot above the water level. Sorry, please take what I write with a grain of salt as thoughts are racing through my head.  

Here's what healthy roots should look like in my opinion-
7c1eb0ac.jpg

Just to give you a way out. Look at the roots of her plant and if they don't look anything like mine... shake your head and look remorseful and tell her that you will do your best but no promises.  Offer to make it up to her by buying her a really nice CP if her beloved orchid dies.  Just kidding.  Incidentally, I had just totally flushed that plant and was going to set it back in the sink to drain before putting it back in its pot.  I do not put my plants back in their pots that wet.  I also ended up repotting that plant a few days later when I picked up more orchid bark.

I don't have any pigeon blood red flowering Paphs but if push came to shove, I'm sure my girlfriend would pass hers on for a good cause.

Laura, that's a Phal, not a Paph, isn't it?  Paph roots don't look anything like that.  In fact, healthy Paph roots look a lot like dead roots of other orchids.  Paph roots are a mystery to me, but they'll never look like the healthy roots of "normal" orchids.  They are dark and have a sort of fibrous surface.  An actively growing tip is noticeable but, otherwise, I have trouble knowing whether a Paph root is happy or sad or somewhere in between.

Good!  All the better for wolf9striker in pleading his case with the little woman if I screwed up and photographed Phal roots instead of Paph roots. There's no way the roots I photographed will ever compare to what he has.  Let me run up stairs and see if there is a plant stake in that plant.  I think I remember which one it was.

Back