Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I'm getting some "Orchid odontoglossum Bllra.Tahoma Glacier "Green"
    Pansy Orchid Miltonia 'Chris Ellis' Cross
    Fragrant Orchid Cattleya Netrasiri Beauty x Varut
    And some other ones called Red Star.
    Thanks for your help guys [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] ~Niki~
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nicky,
    "One called Red Star" still doesnt help Im afraid, is it a Cattleya, Odontoglossum or some other species?

Well I can tell you now the Miltonia wont last 5 minutes in your south facing exposure, they sunburn very easily even if they are on east facing windows. The best place for them is a few feet away from the window and shaded by some other plants.
    Same for the ,Miltionopsis, they are very similar in growing conditions and they even used ot be in the same genus.

Cattleya wont like south facing sun either, they enjoy east facing windows but south facing exposures will just sizzle them.

Odontoglossums wont do well on south facing windows either, again, youre better off with east facing widnows or exposures.

Generally most orchids hate that much sun, except for in the winter when Vanda enjoy being on south facing exposures.

However, it might work if you shade them with shading cloth, but I wouldnt ge my hopes tooo high up about that since Ive never tried it.
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Starman re your Odontoglossums and Miltonia not liking too much sun. All the orchids you have are south American so I'm not too familiar with them but I have experience with growing those genera.

Red Star is a hybrid name, a bit like the "Miranda" in Nepenthes Miranda. If you tell someone you have a Miranda, without the Nepenthes in front, it doesn't mean much.

I don't necessarily agree regarding most orchids not liking sun, there are plenty from over this way that do. Virtually the entire group of terete leaved Vanda, many Dendrobium (some are even adapted for almost desert conditions, such as canaliculatum), and I grow some Oncidiums, Renanthera and a few others in full tropical sun with no ill effects. It very much depends on the orchid and also how long the plant is given to become used to the sun.
    If you take a soft green plant and put it in sun it will burn, this even applies to cacti.

Cheers, Troy.

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Troy,
    I thought Vanda were the only ones who liked full sun, but everything else here just burns if you put it in full sun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I'm keeping them outside,not inside,so I can't put them in the window.Would it be ok if I kept them in the shade? ~Niki~
    Great Googly Moogly!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nicky,
    Are you planning on keeping them outside all year? If so they will not survive as soon as the winter cold sets in

How much shade are you talking about?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well no,I can bring them in when winter comes.I don't know how much shade I'm talking about,that's what I'm trying to figure out from you guys,lol.I picked up my plants today,so I will take pics tomorrow.The look nice.See ya! ~Niki~ [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif[/img]
    Great Googly Moogly!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Preferably, your orchids would recieve 2-3 hours of light and the rest of the day in shade, but if that cant happen then leave them in the shade anyway, they will grow slower then if they had any light but their leaves wont be sizzled off by the sun

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast