What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too hot?

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
On the 28th I am going to pick up 7 Orchids.I would like to grow them outside,but I only have a place for them that recieves South facing sun.Will that be too hot for them?Would I be able to put them outside in the morning,then put them in the shade when it gets really hot and then bring them out again into the sun when it cools down a bit?Thank you
smile.gif
~Niki~(Trapper7)

I doubt it could be too hot. Don't you live in Canada
smile_n_32.gif
I have all my orchids in the south but with an overhang and they are fine in NE FL

Why does everyone always make fun of Canada and our weather?We're not the ones having the huricanes,lol
smile_n_32.gif
Thanks for the info Treaqum
smile.gif
~Niki~

Well I doubt Canada can be too hot. Thats like saying Miami is too cold.

Tre, im 60 miles from the Canuk border, it gets to hot here in the summer for some species, hits 100 degrees plus on a regular basis between July and the end of August. most of Canada is no different than the northern part of the USA. Niki, without knowing what your getting its kinda hard to answer.

Canuk? Is that a new state? Just kidding. Seriously most orchids that you would buy grow in tropcial zones like Neps are from and will do fien outside with morning sun. If not that booming orchid industry in Miami would be majorly screwed.

It really depends on the species of orchid you are talking about. With a southern exposure, the concern will be more the amount of light they receive than the temperature. Most paphs and phals do not like strong, full sun and will sunburn. Dendrobiums do well with an eastern exposure...bright morning sun.

If you know what orchids specifically you are getting, your best bet is to do some research and see if they can tolerate such strong sunlight.

I agree TOTALLY with PAK, I was waitiing to see what species you are talking about and no-one has even asked s how can you know if it's too hot?
Nikki I live in Bali, Indonesia, and it's HOT and sunny all year round. Ma temps in our "summer" (we don't really have summers, just wet and dry seasons) is about 34C and in "winter" it's about 28C.

I grow certain Dendrobiums and Vanda right out in the full heat of the sun, all day long, and they are fine and flower almost constantly. On the other hand Phalaenopsis would die in about half an hour in the sun.

You need to find out what kinds of orchids you are getting as they will all like different things if they are different species.
post the names of them up here and I am fairly sure I can give you some hints on them.

Cheers, Troy.

Ok I'm getting some "Orchid odontoglossum Bllra.Tahoma Glacier "Green"
Pansy Orchid Miltonia 'Chris Ellis' Cross
Fragrant Orchid Cattleya Netrasiri Beauty x Varut
And some other ones called Red Star.
Thanks for your help guys
smile.gif
~Niki~

Hi Nicky,
"One called Red Star" still doesnt help Im afraid, is it a Cattleya, Odontoglossum or some other species?

Well I can tell you now the Miltonia wont last 5 minutes in your south facing exposure, they sunburn very easily even if they are on east facing windows. The best place for them is a few feet away from the window and shaded by some other plants.
Same for the ,Miltionopsis, they are very similar in growing conditions and they even used ot be in the same genus.

Cattleya wont like south facing sun either, they enjoy east facing windows but south facing exposures will just sizzle them.

Odontoglossums wont do well on south facing windows either, again, youre better off with east facing widnows or exposures.

Generally most orchids hate that much sun, except for in the winter when Vanda enjoy being on south facing exposures.

However, it might work if you shade them with shading cloth, but I wouldnt ge my hopes tooo high up about that since Ive never tried it.

I agree with Starman re your Odontoglossums and Miltonia not liking too much sun. All the orchids you have are south American so I'm not too familiar with them but I have experience with growing those genera.

Red Star is a hybrid name, a bit like the "Miranda" in Nepenthes Miranda. If you tell someone you have a Miranda, without the Nepenthes in front, it doesn't mean much.

I don't necessarily agree regarding most orchids not liking sun, there are plenty from over this way that do. Virtually the entire group of terete leaved Vanda, many Dendrobium (some are even adapted for almost desert conditions, such as canaliculatum), and I grow some Oncidiums, Renanthera and a few others in full tropical sun with no ill effects. It very much depends on the orchid and also how long the plant is given to become used to the sun.
If you take a soft green plant and put it in sun it will burn, this even applies to cacti.

Cheers, Troy.

Hey Troy,
I thought Vanda were the only ones who liked full sun, but everything else here just burns if you put it in full sun

Well I'm keeping them outside,not inside,so I can't put them in the window.Would it be ok if I kept them in the shade? ~Niki~

Hi Nicky,
Are you planning on keeping them outside all year? If so they will not survive as soon as the winter cold sets in

How much shade are you talking about?

Well no,I can bring them in when winter comes.I don't know how much shade I'm talking about,that's what I'm trying to figure out from you guys,lol.I picked up my plants today,so I will take pics tomorrow.The look nice.See ya! ~Niki~
cool.gif

Preferably, your orchids would recieve 2-3 hours of light and the rest of the day in shade, but if that cant happen then leave them in the shade anyway, they will grow slower then if they had any light but their leaves wont be sizzled off by the sun

Thanks! ~Niki~
smile.gif

Niki how are the orchid doing? ALMOST all orchids can be addapted to take higher than light recomendations. I know a guy who grows Phals in Catt light. The red star you have is in the oncidium alliance family. I think I have one. I can check the name when I get home. I have the majority of my orchids in the Cattleya, Dendrobium and Oncidium alliance outside under a bench I built and the only shade it gets during the heat of the day is latus. I have a couple of leaves that have burn marks, but I didnt move them out slowly either. As soon as it was built they went out. I keep my Phals paphs gongoras and some other things in the deteriorating GH that basicly only has 50% shadecloth on it now. So you could say its a shade house at the moment. LOL It need recovering. The open side of the bench I built is basicly southern exposure and my cats are loving it. In fact I am hopeing to bloom one that I haven't seen bloom in 2 years. The 2 Milts are definatly shade plants. The miltonopsis doesn't like to get to hot from what I have been told. Personaly I think its best to grow the orchids in as much light as they can take. You tell this by the color of the plant. I had a very experianced orchid grower who has stunning plants in my OS tell me that you know an orchid is getting the right ammount of light when it is a yellowish green. I tend to believe him since everyone of his plants he brings in to show and tell at our OS meetings are just stunning. HUGE and profusely bloomed.

Back