What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ideas for small, warm, moist growing orchids

im setting up some dart frog tanks and am looking for ideas for small/mini orchids that will do well in there. they need to stand being constantly moist. warm year round and not need the best air circulation. the back of atleast one tank will be tree fern panels sp i figured some mini orchids would be cool growing with the small creeping epiphytic ferns im getting from Cloud Jungle. just looking for a list of species so i can go browes ebay and such but if yah have extra of something that will fit the bill i have lots of different thigs to trade.

well some species I only have one but it grow in LFS with other cps in a terrarium.

i was under the impresion the vast majority of Masdevallia species like it cool and moist not warm and moist. i have found a small cousin to this genus that likes it warm and moist though

EDIT: the lil cousin i found is Dryadella kautskyi. if there are some Masdevallia that like it warm and moist i would really like to know what species so i can find them

Mine is doing fine. Just flowered.

do you know what species you have Tre?

wendlandiana. I bought it from an Orchid show where it was imported from Columbia. I wonder how legal that was. This did not seem like a very reputible person and they did not speak english. Kept tryign to sell me "other items" but I am not sure what they were nor did I want ot know

thanks Tre, ill keep an eye out for it

OR if you have not found it next year I may be able to divide mine.

ebay is my favorite place to shop for odd ball orchids. ive got a guy here in Montana(though a 9 hour drive away) and Jeffs Flasks has all kinds of odd ball species stuff and has good quality plants.

Masdevallia, Pleurothallis and Dracula do indeed like it cool or at most intermediate. If you have one doing well warm then that is unusual. They also need good air circulation.

For small orchids that give a good display... If you can get it rasied off the ground for the pendulous inflorescences, why not try the amazing Paphinia herrerae? Or Ludisia discolor (terrestrial), and species of Bulbophyllum, Cirrhopetalum and some Maxillaria ought to do well, depending on light levels.

i have Ludisia and plan on using it. i thought i had Bulbophylum odoratissimum but doesnt seem to have near as many flowers and they dont really have a scent so im not sure what i have now.

Gotta go with what Rob stated. Masdevallias like intermediate at the warmest, and need good air circulation. I would also suggest lowland bulbos and cirrs. B. fascinator is very forgiving and has great blooms. Might want to try it.

Masdevallias that do well in warm temps, Masdevallias floribunda, livingstoneana, and zahlbruckneri are a few that I know of.

I have Encyclia polybulbon cuttings available if your interrested. It's a rambler, with fall and spring blooms, and will cover your back wall in a couple years.

Chris

Well I will let everyone know if the Masdevallia does fine. It just bloomed agin so I would assume it's happy

What's the link to Jeffs Flasks?  Do they carry native orchids such as Cyps?

I would recomend some small Bulbophyllum as well. There is also some mini Dendrobiums that will do well too. Carter and Holmes has a dracula that can tolerate warm temps provided it stays moist. The one den I have in mind is Den Rigidum. Here is an ilistrated guide ro orchid species that you can look at to help you decide. http://www.orchidspecies.com/ They can tell you general temps and flowerin periods on alot of orchids. There is even some mini cattleya hybreds that you could use if you placed them in areas that will dry out but be humid. I will ask some of my friends on other boards and find out some others for you.

JB, i know that website well. i was just looking for personal experiance. that site lists so many odd ball species that i would be would be chasing after extreamly rare species. i figured if ppl gave me their experiances i would have a list of species that i have a shot at finding. i cant wait to hear the list you come up with.

Back