Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Orchids for highland nepenthes vivarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I'm building a vivarium for my highland nepenthes and would like to add some orchids. It will be cool (40's or low 50's at night and 70's at day) (around 10C night and 20/25 C day, might get down to 5C in winter). It will be humid (almost always over 80% with saturation every night due to an ultrasonic mister). Light will be fairly intense.

It will be about 3 feet tall. Which orchids could I grow here? I was thinking about dracula, but it might be too bright (maybe under neps?)

Obviously, small orchids would be better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The small and wonderful Sophronitis coccinea would do well, as would several Himalayan slipper orchids, like Paphiopedilum armeniacum (thought they get a little large possibly), or maybe Phragmipedium besseae. Rossioglossum crispum is small and might be ok with those low temps. None really like "intense" light though. How intense do you mean?
    Rob Howe.

Homepage
    http://www.ukorchidforum.com
    CP growlist

Seeking: Drosera hilaris (seed)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to have a space like that, although I guess not enough to actually make one myself. I'd go for the many cold growing Pleurothallids such as Dracs and Masdies and less common genera that I love but can't grow. They don't want that much light, so creating shaded spots for them is a must. Problem is that if you're doing the clear top chest freezer thing, you'll never see them.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm building myself, so front will be glass. Freezer is perfect for growing but for not much else and I want to see my plants.

Size will be something like 140cm l x 60cm w x 90cm tall

Light? probably something like 6x36W tubes.

I love that Sophronitis coccinea, I just wrote that name to my wish list. Phragmipedium and phaps also sound good, altough they can get big. Pleurothallids also look great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow all my Orchids outside with my Neps. All will do fine but I think you will like the more exotic species.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's too hot here in CT for the cold growing orchids to do well and the humidity is too low in the winter. My orchids accompany the Neps out for the summer and back inside for the winter. But they're intermediate to hot growing orchids. Hot growing orchids tolerate a temperature that's too cool better than cold growing orchids tolerate heat. I'd need something like that vivarium too if I wanted to grow those cloud forest orchids.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche