Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aww, crud... mold...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, nearly any medium can be overwatered, it's just a matter of probablility. I've found LFS and solid-walled pots to be detrimental in my growing conditions (indoors under lights). Thus, I use orchid bark mix and wood baskets (for the phals) or I mount the orchid to corkbark with a strands of LFS for a little moisture retention for the following species: Dendrobium anceps, Dendrochilium uncatum, Encyclia polybulbon, Lockhartia micrantha, Masdevallia collina, Bulbophyllum blumei & odoratissimum, and Apendicula elegans. I love the A.elegans' and B.odoratissimum's tiny white and yellow flowers, respectively!

I'm surprised to hear you're having difficulty with Phals as most find them to be one of the easiest genera to grow. As for myself, oncidia are my nemesis.

I think your statements on growing conditions make a good point: watering, light, soil mix, and fertilization are interacting conditions, and cultivation tips that work for one person may not work for another.

Thanks for mentioning the bagging method for plant resucitation. Like I said, I've never had a sickly orchid save for one given to me by a friend. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

What you experienced with your cattleya, I've experienced with my cobra plant. I transplanted it into peat moss with fertilizer in it--supposedly bad, but the plant is thriving.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go figure. Nothing is absolute. My first paph when I bought it the guy said he hasn't had luck growing it i that. Well I potted it anyways and its bloomed twice since I got it and about to need to be potted up. So you say Spahg and plastic. Hmmmmmmm thats not a good combo for alot of pants. I use sphag and clay for alot of things. Plus I used the cheap sphag everyone says is bad too. You get more for a cheaper price. Its just not all pretty and bleached like the orchid moss is. I have to get some picture posted and you can see some of the things I'm growing. But I would say yes under lights sphag and plastic can be a bad combo. Not as much air circulation as outside. Everything I have will dry up in one day due to the sun and air movement. The reason I had to much trouble with Phals is because of plactic pots with sphag moss and the moss was packed so tight around the roots to keep it in place. I have adjusted my mixx and things to accomidate. I am playing with different trypes of media and so far everything is growing great. Nothing special on mixxes though. I find that the plant if healthy can addapt to almost any conditions. In plats folks grow in semi-hydro you find that the plant will send roots down into the water reseviour with no ill effect. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img] Normaly if roots stand in water they root, but not plants addapted to semi-hydro. I;m experimenting with that culture again. I killed everything I put in it the first time. The key is to transplant it to that media when actively growning because it will loss all its old roots and establish new ones. Oh and also the sphag and bag method is also good to get back bulb of cymbidiums to grow again.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh I also forot to mention something about the mold. If the plant is doing fine don't worry about it. If its salt buld up the worry. Make sure you leach your potws regularly toprevent this. Once a month is good. I personaly don't fertalize like I should so my pots are leached every time I water unless I fertalize. LOL My cattleya alliance I have in sphag has all kind of algea growing on it. Orchids have a symbiotic relationship with fungus and things so unless the plant is suffering then it should be fine. If your worried get some pysan 20 and water with it the next 2 or 3 times it should kill the fungus. I think the dose is 2 table spoons per gallon. It should say the dose for orchids.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, there's a structural difference between roots grown in soil and those grown hydroponically. This is why it's not wise to place a hydroponically grown plant into soil. I've never tried cultivating orchids in water, so I'll certainly be interested to hear your results.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12