Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Orchid mixes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

just curious as to everyone elses soil mixes as their are probably a lot of different recipes. I personally like to buy the pre-made orchid mixes and then modify them a bit. I usually add a bit of lava rock for good drainage, I add perlite, a bit of peat moss, some wood chips, and large grade orchid bark. Of coarse the recipes vary depending on the species of orchid I am potting up. I have found the lava rock to be especially beneficial in keeping the soil mix well drained.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i just plant them in the bark/ceramic rock/charcoal mix.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mostly use a 50/50 mix of coconut husk chips (CHC) and sponge rock. I bought a bag of nice fine bark this spring with the intention of using it instead of some of the CHC. But I still haven't opened that bag.

Don't forget that orchids are almost always happier with packing peanuts at the bottom of the pot. I put a little bit of coco fiber above the peanuts to keep the mix from slumping down, where it reduces air flow and can wick up water.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use premade orchid bark mix in wooden baskets or (rarely) in containers with many drainage holes.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    orchid bark mix/coconut fiber/charcoal
    Probably somewhere around 50% orchid bark mix and 25%coconut fiber and 25% charcoal.

I pot in plastic pots that have good bottom drainage and I recess those pots into other decorative pots or wall pockets. I usually rest the inner plastic pot on packing peanuts but I've used pebbles and such also.

I repot in fresh mix every time an orchid blooms. I use this mix for every tropical orchid I have that I grow inside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For about six months I've been using a mixture of mostly lava rock for drainage and a bit of long fibered sphagnum moss to retain moisture, and it seems to be working well so far.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the mix I can get from Lowes, or LFS moss. I have just started using some treefern fiber in a few. I dun ohow thats doing yet. I repot things to check roots when I get the plant. I have heard people saying you need to repot LFS every year, but I haven't changed it yet on anything. I have fluffed it up because it compacted, but it wasn;t an accual repot. I guess you could say I'm still experimenting on what mix I like. I like mouting too. and so far my fav mount is a slab of treefern.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13