User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Vanila

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ Sep. 17 2005,12:33)]Theres a place out in Colorado that has a Vanilla orchid blooming. I don't know what species it is but it's a Vanilla orchid and it blooms all the time. I have looked at it several times and smelled the blooms and it is sickening after a while with one good sized one and a small area. It's in a kinda greenhouse/large sunroom area. I bet Jeremiah has seen it, I know he frequents the place often.
    I don't really know much about orchids but I think in general almost any plant can be adapted to live in a house given some degree of special care. I have an Arachnis orchid I think it's called, I don't really do anything for it; it just grows in a huge pot of Epiphyllum. It gets full sun. Anyway I'd be inclined to say whether the "experts" say it can be done is irrelevant, alot is done that the "experts" say NO! I bet it can be done if given the determination and time.
    Starman, I'm sure he knows that sometimes you fail when growing exotic plants. Let him try it without being told he can't. If it don't happen he'll figure it out and without any negative comments.

Joe
    exactly, its not on a proper windowsill is it?

You obviously dont understand when people(and not just experts, newbies and higher level growers too) have tried to do what youre trying to do and it failed. If it does flower for any of you, it would be the very first case in the world.
    You also dont seemt o understand some people have tried again and again and have tried all sorts of different scenarios to make them flower and nothing worked. I doubt you could try anything that hasnt been tried before to make them flower.

Well I used to think the same as you, but not anymore. Why?
    1) I bought a Heliamphora and for over a year it faield ot adapt to indoors, its now been moved to the greenhouse
    2)When I thought the same as you I posted it and straight away the likes of Tony Paroubek and nepenthes gracillis instanly jumped on me and said that Im wrong etc.
    3) I bought another few sensitive plants to try to prove them wrong.......they died

So I dont believe in that theory anymore and I wont believe in it ever again.

You seem to enjoy attacking the experts, but Im telling you now: You CANT know more then someone whose been growing for over 30 years.
    So I find it pretty laughable that you think you can prove people wrong which have that much experience.
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dudes... it's a flower...

Learning from a doomed experiment isn't failure. That's how experts became experts... through long histories of "failure".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dino, just cause you cant grow sensitive plants on a window sill desnt mean no one can. ive grown a Heli in open topped 10 gal tank which should give it approximatly the same relitive humidity as you have. my problem with them is getting them enough light. heck lots of ppl on this site cant grow Helis or nepenthes on windowsills but that doesnt mean none of us can.

BTW does this count? it is from a grower in Illinois, which anyone from here in the states can tell you isnt ideal for growing tropical orchids, they can and do see several feet of snow every winter. if they can do it outside i should be able to do it inside

Quote[/b] ]Anyway, I have about 8 or so different species of Vanilla Orchids so far. I don't know why but they have always facinated me. I think I just like them because they are vining plants. But as far as finally having one flower for me.....It was one of my Pompona's...I have it outside on my patio sitting in the shade. It is able to get rained on where I have it. I bought it as a cutting about a year ago and it was only about 12 inches in length. Right now it is probably 18 inches in length, so it is really sort of a slow grower. I use potting soil (any kind) and then I add different things to it to make it a bit looser. Sometimes all I add is a little extra perlite. Sometimes I add some orchid mix to it. And sometimes, I have grown them with nothing but regular soil mix that you buy anywhere. I try to keep the soil mix damp but not soggy otherwise you will rot the part down in the soil. They are easy to grow. I grow mine in the house under flourescent lights. I have some that climb the walls in the basement also..
    I was really excited to see a flower finally. I took a horrible blurry picture but the flower was basically gone by then. Only lasted a day.
    granted she got heres to flower at 18 inches but i have a theory on that. in all the comercial Vanilla cultivation websites i have visited they all say the same thing, the thickness of the vine is how they can tell when a Vanilla is going to bloom not length, so if she got ahold of a tip cutting from a very mature plant with thick enough vines i think it explains the blooming on a short vine.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never forget that experts almost always have ideal growing conditions for whatever it is they're experts about. They either live in the environment their plants prefer or provide a greenhouse or some other controlled environment for them. So, unless you do too, don't blindly trust people who tell you what you can and cannot grow or how to grow something.

The person who knows the most about growing things in the conditions I provide is me. That said, I've learned a lot of what I know from experts in forums and, less frequently, in books. But I have to run that advice through the filter of my own experience.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Sep. 17 2005,2:07)]Never forget that experts almost always have ideal growing conditions for whatever it is they're experts about. They either live in the environment their plants prefer or provide a greenhouse or some other controlled environment for them. So, unless you do too, don't blindly trust people who tell you what you can and cannot grow or how to grow something.

The person who knows the most about growing things in the conditions I provide is me. That said, I've learned a lot of what I know from experts in forums and, less frequently, in books. But I have to run that advice through the filter of my own experience.
    That is so not true. There are plenty of experts all around the world, not just in 'ideal' climates.

Well hang on a second........Tamlin Dawnstar is an expert isnt he? Would you call him wrong and stupid and tell him you dont listen to experts and stuff?
    And what about Tony Parubek? Hes an expert too isnt he?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont think Tony would refer to himself as an expert, serious grower sure but i doubt he refers to himself as an expert. i know Tamlin quite well and i know he wouldnt consider himself an expert either. i can say with 100% certanty that he doesnt refer to himself as such. both Tony and William are(was in Williams case) serious growers. both will tell you how they grow(grew) their plants and their observations but neither has ever told me that something wont work within reason. William was a big one on experimenting and fully understands the rule "not everything works for everyone". you should probably know the ppl better before dragging their names into the conversation.
    cervid serial killer
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Sep. 17 2005,5:04)]i dont think Tony would refer to himself as an expert, serious grower sure but i doubt he refers to himself as an expert. i know Tamlin quite well and i know he wouldnt consider himself an expert either. i can say with 100% certanty that he doesnt refer to himself as such. both Tony and William are(was in Williams case) serious growers. both will tell you how they grow(grew) their plants and their observations but neither has ever told me that something wont work within reason. William was a big one on experimenting and fully understands the rule "not everything works for everyone". you should probably know the ppl better before dragging their names into the conversation.
    Well for your information a lot of people consider them both experts, so do I in fact.

And there is a HUGE reason why Vanilla fail indoors in temperate regions, they MUST have warm nights ALL year round and they MUST have room to spread. Without this Vanillas sulk and do poorly.And that HAS been proven.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the point is that they do not consider themselves experts.

as to Vanillas "must have" warm nights. i can say now this is a bunch of bull. mine was growing like a weed with 85 degree days and 55 degree nights. infact the only reason its sulking now is i moved it from 90% humidity to 35% humidity abruptly but both are sending out new growth as we speak. i have the plants in my posesion and have had planifolia for over a year, half of which in very rough conditions. can you say the same? you keep speaking of what experts have told you but where is your own personal experince? ive been growing plants for longer than you have been on this earth. does that make me an expert? NO do i consider myself an expert? NO but what i do have is years of personal experiance growing plants in the conditions i have. i am tired of arguing about this with you when not once have you added anything but what some experts have told you. if someone else wants to discuss their personal experiances with this Genus im game but im done responding to you Dino
    cervid serial killer

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast