Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Vanila

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know why I should be nice; it's obvious no one here knows anything about growing vanilla. I planted vanilla and provided the exact conditions people are recommending and ... nothing happened. Hmmm, I wonder if I should have stratified that little bottle before planting it. Maybe I'll get a nice, carefree plant if I use a bottle of artificial vanilla flavoring. No worries about light or humidity - we'll just need to dust now and then.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Sep. 19 2005,9:34)]I don't know why I should be nice; it's obvious no one here knows anything about growing vanilla. I planted vanilla and provided the exact conditions people are recommending and ... nothing happened. Hmmm, I wonder if I should have stratified that little bottle before planting it. Maybe I'll get a nice, carefree plant if I use a bottle of artificial vanilla flavoring. No worries about light or humidity - we'll just need to dust now and then.
    BUA HA HA!! Try fertilizing the bottle a litte bit, and plant it cap facing down.. thats the key;P

Very funny and creative, I must admit I didnt get it at first... I even smacked my forehead saying Oh god here we go again.. LOL.

I'll post those pics soon! Spent the whole day preparing for huricane Rita :/ Its gonna hit us *blah* one right after the other first Katrina now Rita *sigh* man I love Florida

Take care,

-Jc
    Heliamphora ... A genus that intrigues me and fills me with joy!

-Jc
    Miami, Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not going to talk about vanilla any more because I already had my say and it was perfectly relevant.

Re: Heliamphora.

Find me one expert that would say that Heliamphora could be grown outside in GA. You wont'! But I was growing one outdoors in Atlanta for 8 months and the reason it died had nothing to do with conditions and everything to do with the kids from the apartment complex taking it off my patio and playing kickball with it. So, who is wrong? The experts? or was I just hallucinating for 8 months?

Re: Tamlin as an "expert".

Arguably I have known Tamlin longer than anyone on this forum, I was the one who brought him here. The last thing Tamlin would say is that he is an expert and Tamlin never really puts any real weight to what "experts" said because he knows that nothing is set in stone. One example would be Tamlin's D. graminifolia. Fernando is arguably the world expert in S. American Drosera, when he heard Tamlin was growing D. graminifolia basically as a sub-aquatic Fernando told Tamlin that it should not be possible. A little while later Tamlin posted pics of a huge blooming plant and Fernando was awed and said that he never would have thought it possible but the proof was right there. So the "expert" was wrong and Tamlin turned out to be right. This does not mean that Tamlin is now more of an expert than Fernando, it just means that Tamlin was willing to try what the experts said could not be done. FWIW, I have never been able to get my graminifolia to grow Tamlin's way. That said, I have a few that are growing unprotected outside on my deck which is, like the Heliamphora, not supposed to be doable because of the heat.

Re: "Experts" in general

In my experience there are two kinds of experts. Those who say they are the experts and those who say they are not but everyone else says they are. The ones you should listen to more often are the latter. I can think of dozens of names I could toss out here but I am not going to bother because everyone of them would scoff at me calling them an expert. The point is that what really makes someone an expert is not how loud they crow about how great they are but how much other people actually listen to them.

So whoever wants to listen to Dino is welcome to and whoever wants to listen to Sheridan is welcome to and whoever wants to listen to me is welcome to and whoever wants to listen to Juan-Carlos is welcome to and whoever wants to listen to their dog is welcome to and whoever wants to listen to the wind is welcome to. Listen to whoever you want, we all chose our own experts.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so, can one of you experts tell me...I live in zone 9, will they survive outside? Now that I've read all the heated controversy I want one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buster,

Not being in zone 9 I can not say for sure but since Juan-Carlos indicated they grow "wild" in FL I'd say you have a pretty good shot at it. And you can always just try and see what happens.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it will do great in zone 9... make sure to put it under a tree. Indeed they are native to Flordia... and they grow in the shaded humid marsh/swamp in fakahatchee strand.

Have fun!

-Jc
    Heliamphora ... A genus that intrigues me and fills me with joy!

-Jc
    Miami, Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a much better chance for the plant to flower on the growing end if it is hanging down, according to a commercial vanilla grower whom I had the chance to hear not too long ago. My plant has never bloomed, so I hung the end of my plant down, but still no flower. Maybe it's not the blooming season. I wonder if anyone growing vanilla can confirm or refute the hanging down theory.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast