Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got my first cps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it is sphagum moss. I didn't want to try and spell it and risk looking like an idiot. The sand was also bought in the Lowes garden section specifically for gardening. However, after using the 1:1 peat-perlite, I ended up not using any sand.

"Also, I would recommend using sphagnum peat moss and perlite without added fertilizer."
    The only ones I could find was Miracle Grow. They have plant food, but not fertilizer in it. It was the best I could find. Specifically, I'm using:
    1 part Miracle Grow sphagnum peat moss
    1 part Miracle Grow perlite
    handfuls of gardening rocks(in a sack as the nursery)
    Bag of long strand sphagnum moss.
    distilled water

And I'm already starting to plan the dormancy.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, welcome to the forums! Why don't ya tell the Lowes CP expert about the discussion forum as well!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    eesh.

That Miracle Gro stuff is bad news. It nearly killed a bog I made. CPs really need NO fertilizer/plant food. I'd water the heck out of it, and let it drain to get rid of as much of the Miracle Gro as possible. I'm talking gallons.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know caps, but it was the ONLY peat I could find around here.

Anyway, how do you guys keep up with the distilled water requirement? Did you all buy distillers? I mean to fill 3 6in pots to the point of draining takes just about 1/3 of a gallon. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]

P.S. Caps, nice to meet another FSM follower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some use RO/distilled water and some use plain old rainwater: I use the former. If you need large quantities of pure water and don't have free access to a laboratory or can't afford a RO system, I suggest using rainwater.

Lastly, if you are one of the VERY FEW lucky individuals who's tap water has a TDS of < 60ppm, you may try this. You'll have to test the water yourself using a TDS meter ($50-150) or send a sample of your tap water to the local water management organization for free or low-cost testing. BUT, AS A RULE, IT'S BEST TO AVOID TAP WATER UNLESS YOU'RE SURE OF IT'S PURITY. You can use tap water in emergencies (plants wilting and you ran out of the good stuff) without harming your plants. Typically, only chronic use of tap water will damage them.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, with a 3rd floor balcony facing south, catching rainwater can be difficult. I bet if I gave my little brother a plant, he'd be willing to collect rain for me and bottle it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get R/O filters for about $100 bucks that will give you more than enough water. Over time it makes sense, but it's a bit of an up-front cost. As my collection increased in size (drastically LOL!), it became necessary.

Before that, my best option was going to the grocery store where they had a water dispensing machine out front that was R/O filtered for 35 cents a gallon.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would sugdest that you get an ro unit from ebay for about $75 (expensive shipping though). I am about to send in the money for mine, and will thuroughly enjoy drinking the water and using it for my plants [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] .
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZaquasafesystemsQQhtZ-1

Oh, and you can just use strait sphagnum moss. I've never had any problems with that, and I use it for everything.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast