Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got my first cps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sphagnum peat moss should have 0% food/fertilizer in it at all. If you have to travel to find standard peat, then do it. I have always grown in straight peat as it is quick, fun, and easier to deal with. How do I keep it from compacting?? Undrained containers filled to the top with RO water. The peat moss virtually floats on top of the water molecules and offers the rhizome tons of support, and it stays VERY wet. My plants are not complaining. Get rid of ANY peat that offers plant food or fertilizer in the mix. Your plants may die yet in this MG Peat with PLANT FOOD. No go, amigo! Hope they live.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh if you are buying your supplies from Lowe's they keep the high quality sphagnum peat without fertilizer outside in huge bales for a lot cheaper than the miracle grow junk. Also I'd pitch the perlite as I think it is a highly overrated substance. Too messy for my taste and there are other substitutes that work just as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, and the local Lowes to me also carries small packages of "Mosser Lee" LFS that have no fertilizer.

As for water, I usually go to the grocery store and they have an RO unit. You can refill your own containers for 50 cents a gallon or less.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to buy distilled water at the supermarket, but stopped when the cost hit 0.75-$1.00/gallon in my area. I need ~5gal/week so I would be spending $260/year on water.

But if you have only a couple of plants, store-bought water is a good option. A gallon would probably last you a couple of weeks.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spend $180.00 a month for 200 gallons of water per month (June through September) so you are spending next to nothing. Of course, my collection is big, and they get what they need even if something else needs to wait for a while before being paid. Plants first, regardless how much the wife complains!!!!!

45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow; I should bite my tongue after hearing that. I think I have a relatively diverse collection (56 species), but most are represented by a single plant so my watering needs are--thankfully--much less.

I'm curious, just how many plants do you have, Bugweed?

EDIT: I just ran across a proceeding post showing a portion of your collection--quite nice.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have roughly 300 plants. (Never counted them.) Even my growlist, which is on this Forum, is not complete. Still have not posted every plant. However, if you wish to see what I have, look at my growlist. Most of it is there (somewhat) and I will complete it later. I do not believe I have listed the drosera, or the butterworts. BTW, Chloroplast, there are 2 pictorials on my plants, the first is titled Bugweeds at Bugweed's house, and shows some pings and drosera, definitely dionaea, and my circulating water bog. The other, Bugweeds in September shows more close ups, and a general over view of my growing area.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So at what point do you trim leaves? I have some pitchers where the top is brown and dry, but the rest of the leaf is fine.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast