User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody starting to think about moving sars in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Sep. 23 2005,4:22)]I would wait until the forecast calls for overnight lows to be in the low 30's. I think they are still benefitting from being outside, even though they are showing signs of dormancy.
    Jimscott hit it on the head for me as well. I really don't want my potted Sarracenia to sit outside when it's in the 20s fahrenheit. So, I move them into my unheated sunporch and keep them just damp (cut back water). At the same time, I'll mulch the bog, but I allow it to dry a little as well. Keep in mind that jimscott and I are in zone 6, so this will be a little earlier for you, but I have never lost a plant from just freezing (dehydration due to soil that was too dry, then frozen--yes!). Even in my sunporch, it can get into the 20s over winter, but it is protected from whipping winds etc.
    My chicken legs taste like chicken--only less meaty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its starting to cool down alot over here, yesterday it got down to 40 tommorow its supposed to barely get to 60 greenhouse is heating itself though
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in zone 4, near Minneapolis. I'm going to try and keep mine outside until Nov. That'll depend on how cold it gets, however. I guess as long as it stays above 20, they'll stay outside. Probably wishful thinking to wait till Nov., but we'll see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last night at 11pm it was still 73F outside. I've not quite experienced anything like this at this time of year. I still have all of my Mexican Pings outside. Looks as if we might be out of the 90's though which is welcome relief and we have been getting enough rain as of the last two weeks.

I have never lost a Sarracenia in my outside bogs or by sticking it pot and all in my garage over the winter and this will be my third winter of overwintering. I have lost a few Drosera that were in smaller pots and I suspect I lost them to dehydration as I should have been out there hydrating the smaller pots more frequently than the much larger pots but I didn't think the size of the pot would be so critical so I was only checking on them all about once a month. The 4" and 6" pots dry out considerably faster than the 8", 10" and 12" pots and most of the Drosera were in the 4" and 6" pots while most of the Sarrs were in 10" and 12" pots.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone had any success overwintering Sarrs by sticking pots down into window wells of their homes? My girlfriend is going to stick a few of hers down in her covered window wells. Her window wells are very shallow, maybe a foot and a half at best but I still think it might work. My window wells might be ideal as they are very deep at 7' and I can access them from inside the basement to add water to the drip trays to wick up because they are all escape windows.

I've got about 100 pots to come in this year and I'm thinking if window wells work this affords me expansion possibilities beyond my wildest dreams because I have 6 over sized extra deep window wells and I did a little experimenting and I can easily cram about 15 pots of assorted sizes down into each one. That's 15 x 6 or space to overwinter 90 more plants. My garage is at capacity once the school brings over about ten to fifteen 10" pots they want me to over winter and my girlfriend is bringing me at least 3 pots to overwinter in my garage that she doesn't want to risk in her window wells plus all of my personal plants.

What do you all think? Has anyone done this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Say Aaron, don't know how I missed your post but I did. Long time no hear. Your plants are always beautiful and they wreak of health. I can hold off stuffing mine in the garage until the temps don't hold above 20. That's not too far off from what I've done in the past which is to move them once the snow starts hitting. That would only be a few weeks difference actually. I'm a little bit behind you because of my zone but not much, maybe I could make it into mid to late November. Who knows, maybe longer given how darn warm its been this year. If the temps stay as artificially warm as they have been this past summer, I could conceivably make it into January- just kidding.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    life in georgia is great.. i'm just gonna keep 'em on the deck! only thing i gotta bring inside is the tropical drosera.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now now now, no braggarts from the southeast or any other area with that type of weather please. This thread is solely for fellow sufferers or sympathizers.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hehehe. still, everyone should use a fungicide as a preventative measure.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast