User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody starting to think about moving sars in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This past week it has again been in the mid 90's. Yesterday was a little bit better as it was only in the low 80's. I can't imagine this hideous warm streak lasting for ever but it sure doesn't feel like fall around here. I hate to admit it but visions of snow swirling around outside with chestnuts roasting on an open fire are pretty appealing right about now. This summer has been hot and dry. Ridiculously hot and dry. In consideration of the weather we have had, when are people from the cooler zones going to start mulching their bogs and bringing potted plants in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uhhh--------When they're ready???
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds nice to me [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    We've had a very warm September - the warmest since 1949 so far.

There's still 5 weeks until things start to really cool down though, so I don't think weather during September has much bearing on when dormancy will begin.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year we had snow two weeks before Thanksgiving. That's rather unusual. I sort of got caught with my pants down on that one as I normally am drilling holes to plant tulip and iris bulbs up until the ground freezes which is generally somewhere the beginning to middle of December. I never was able to plant any of those bulbs. Strange weather patterns we've been having the last few years.

I recall mulching sometime in October last year. I recall cutting the Sarrs down and moving them all in the garage sometime in November.

Last year we only had a few days of temps in the 90's and if I am not mistaken, you could have counted those days on one hand. This year we've had weeks on end of 90F temps. Screwy to say the least. I suppose I'll cut down the plants after they start browning and haul them in when the first snows begin to fall. I have already begun to cut back on watering all Sarrs, particularly the Oreos. Most of my temperate Drosera are already beginning to form hibernacula and the temperate Pinguicula is either down to a little turion or beginning to form rosettes of winter leaves. I suppose the plants know when it's time to take a rest even if the weather is out of sync.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a crazy year. All summer long here, we've had days in the lower sixties, and nights in the lower fifties. Now that it's fall, the temps have actually climbed during the day to near seventy. Usually, we have a few heat waves during the summer/fall, but we've had none this year. Needless to say, the sarracenia are NOT happy, with the exception of S. x Judith Hindle, which I think would grow happily in any conditions. I leave 'em out all year since we don't really freeze, so there's nowhere for them to go, but I suspect that I may lose one or two since they just didn't grow much. My S. oreophilia made three pitchers total before the phylodia started. Who knows what I'll see next spring. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]

At least the nepenthes are happy!

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My oreos started producing phylodia back in July. Some of my flava started in August but now they are sending up new pitchers. Oddly enough, I had quite a few plants sending up flower stalks in the middle of the summer. I assumed they were shutting down early to conserve energy by producing phylodia early throughout the heat wave or stressing and trying to set seed. Come to think of it, my Sarrs produced very few pitchers too. I know I have some plants that won't make it this year to next but which ones they will be is beyond me.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would wait until the forecast calls for overnight lows to be in the low 30's. I think they are still benefitting from being outside, even though they are showing signs of dormancy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yaa, I agree. That's back to hauling them in when the first snows begin to fall. Too much to do until then anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast