Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ceph mouths aren't opening up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a clump of Cephalotus about three months ago from Black Jungle and so far the little guys are still alive. They definitely aren't big plants, which leads me to believe that they're pretty young. Here's my gripe: Since the day I received the plants the tops of the pitchers were closed. Every pitcher. Literally. Now I've read that Cephs will close up their pitchers when humidity is low, but why would the pitchers never have been open, even when I first got them? Also, it's not like the plants are dying. They're very green, with definite hints of red in the pitchers, and they also seem to be putting out new pitchers. They're just all closed [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] Is this something that young Cephs do? Do I need to bump up my humidity (daytime=around 50%, nighttime=around 70%)?

I'm going to be buying a large Ceph from the friendly people here at **********.com very soon, so I want to make sure I get things just right for my new arrival.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the plants are happy, don't worry about the lids.
    Rob Howe.

Homepage
    http://www.ukorchidforum.com
    CP growlist

Seeking: Drosera hilaris (seed)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are the lids closed because they are young developing pitchers? Or were the lids open and they closed because of unfavorable conditions? The young developing pitchers have closed lids, just like Sarracenia and Nepenthes. The lids pop open when the pitchers are mature.

I've received cephs with young developing pitchers and the plant pretty much sat and did nothing for a couple months. Once it recovered, the young pitchers began to grow and the lids finally opened. The lids usually open when the pitchers become slightly flushed with red.

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even the pitchers that should be open are closed, as in NONE of the pitchers are open.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps they need more time to adjust or mature?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you received them bare root?
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, they were potted. Puzzling isn't it? I must just suck at Ceph growing [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't grow Cephs, but I'd try and bump up the daytime humidity. Actually, the overall humidity. Is there damp LFS around the plant? I'd do that.

-D. Lybrand
    Check my growlist! Nothing currently available for trade...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast