What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crestview florida plant rescue

A while back someone did a rescue of sarracenia at the Crestview, Florida site. I got one, and it sat in a box for TWO WEEKS at my brother's house (he lives in the other unit of our two-unit house) before I realized it came. URG. But, miraculously, it lived. Here it is today, with apologies for the bad photo. S. rubra ssp. gulfensis:

S_rubra_ssp_gulfensis.sized.jpg

Is anyone else still growing it? Any pics?

Capslock

People better be still growing them! I would too like to see photos of these plants.

My two plants are doing well. I don't have pics, but they are about eight inches tall each with good venation and coloring, including nice venation on top of the hood which looks great. I'm guessing that they are about two years from flowering size, but when they do bloom, I'll self-cross them, and offer them in the trading forum for a mere 37 cents (i.e., cost of SASE or whatever postage costs then!).

Would it be possible/preferable to cross to someone elses plants to try to get some more diversity in genes?

Good question. I'm not sure how practical this would be or how willing people would be to collect pollen and send it. The viability would be affected (I think) by the length of time in transit via USPS. Priority mail would be COSTLY. I'd love someone like Bugweed or Brooks to weigh in on this. Guys?

Hey! I'm tryin' to sleep!

Uh, isn't it 9PM out there? WAKE UP!!

Back