What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newly sprouted ceph seed.

I would like to see what a newly spouted ceph seed looks like. One that just began to sprout. Anyone know where I can find a picture of what a "just germinated" ceph seed looks like?

Wanted to know as one of my Ceph seeds looked like it was sprouting.  Can now confirm it is.  Here's what it looks like-
Ceph%20Baby%2018oct05.jpg

Here is what your seedling should look like in a couple of weeks
Cephalotus_seedling1321.JPG

and 6 weeks later
Cephalotus_seedling1890.JPG

Photo taken October 29th....sprouted two weeks ago.  Growth splitting at growth tip.  Note the white ball which is the top of a pin (like you get with a new shirt) for size scale.    
Ceph29OCT12005.jpg

Your media looks very wet for Cephalotus. I hope your seedling does not get a damping-off fungus.

my baby ceph is starting to look like bobz's first
photo...not quite there yet....but he must have a great camera because the entire plant is only about the size of a 1/2 grain of rice sitting on end. On my monitor his photo shows it like four inches wide or so.......

[b said:
Quote[/b] (curlingguy @ Nov. 04 2005,9:18)]....but he must have a great camera because the entire plant is only about the size of a 1/2 grain of rice sitting on end.
I simply hand-held my old Canon A40 up to the eyepiece of a binocular dissecting scope then cropped out the circular edges. It took a few attempts to get a clear image.

Here is an updated photo.....I can see two growths coming from middle of the two green leafs which are tiny pitchers slowly growing....see Bobs much larger photos for size reference.

Ceph10NOV2005.JPG

<span style="background:yellow">Here is the latest picture of the growing seedling.</span>
Ceph%2009DEC2005.JPG

Very nice growth,
looks to be coming along nicely

Keeping my fingers crossed on my seeds, so far no germination

smile.gif
Awwwwwww how tiny and cute is that, little baby ceph welcome to this crazy world.. Looks to be growing real well.
smilie4.gif

I don't seem to be having much luck either, the one thing that I was SURE was a seedling seems to have ben hit by damp-off, but maybe in like 5 years when your's flowers I will get another shot at this species LOL

Here is a recent photo showing the growing pitcher more clearly. There is less fuzz and it is bigger. It's huge- its gotta be at least 1/8 of an inch in height!!  
smile_m_32.gif

ceph23DEC05.jpg

hehe Cool to see the progression! Congrats!

Nice! I tried to grow ceph from seed last year but fungus killed them before they could even sprout
smile_h_32.gif

(either that or when I gave up on them they were about to sprout
smile_k_ani_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (curlingguy @ Jan. 01 2006,9:30)]Here is a recent photo showing the growing pitcher more clearly.   There is less fuzz and it is bigger.  It's huge- its gotta be at least 1/8 of an inch in height!!  
smile_m_32.gif

ceph23DEC05.jpg
smile.gif
Awwwwwwwwww looky that its getting bigger now and the color is just amazing.. What a cutie pie baby ceph... Please keep us posted as it grows thats just AWSOME!!!!
Thanks for sharring..
smile_m_32.gif

So cute
smile.gif

I can't wait to see that little guy grow up!

People were getting worried about the little guy.  He's doing fine and here's a recent photo taken earlier today. New growth occurring...maybe a second pitcher developing to the right side.  
Ceph%2029JAN06.jpg

I'm also contemplating growing ceph from seeds. However I read that you need to give them a cold stratification for 8 weeks before sowing? Curlingguy will you share your experience when sowing? How many seeds did you use? What was the percentage of success from those seeds? This will give me an idea how many seeds to sow.

Pauline.

Back