Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus care

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HELP AGAIN!

So I checked my Ceph for fungus and didn't see any, gave it Orthene and removed some scale I found, but it looks as though the new growth are still turning brown. Humidity is not too high because the terrium is fairly open at the top. Temperature is 68-78 degrees (F) through day and night. Light is through diffused shears at a South window.

Perhaps because Ceph is such a slow grower, I'm not giving enough time to judge if my efforts with the Orthene and scale removal are having a positive effect. But let me return the question: What could make new growth on Ceph go brown?

Thanks for any help!

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a question regarding pitcher formation...

I've had my Ceph for about a month and a half and it's just now finishing making its first new pitcher. There are about three or four pitcher "buds" forming around the rosette, but they're definitely slow in the making. Now I know Cephs are pretty slow growers, but is this normal?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm no expert, but that's about the same growing speed I usually experience. Anyone else?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, they are slow growers. I've had ~12 new pitchers in the past 12 months - but the one plant now appears to be two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two small 3 year old ceph in my terrarium. Both stopped growing almost as soon as I put them in my terrarium. They were growing under 80 Watts worth of cool white fluorescents on a 12 hour cycle for winter. Still no growth ofter a month. As an experiment I lengthed the lighting cycle for 16 hours and they started growing vigorously. The humidity was on average 85%-90% with temperatures ranging from 68F to 80F.

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris, how far are your plants from the lights?

It finally occured to me to ask my seller about the Ceph turning brown and he said it sounded like a low light problem. He advised adding a 40 Watt fluorescent light about 6 inches above the plant for 12 hours a day. Now that I think of it, I'm not sure if he meant in addition to the winter sun that it's already receiving.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually have the photoperiod set to 14 hours. Each plant is roughly 8 inches from the bulbs. I seriously doubt the added sunlight is going to affect their growth in any negative way. I started seeing a ton of growth as soon as I bumped up the photoperiod from 11 hours to 14 hours. I hope this helps.

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thank you, and Ceph thanks you!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast