What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who has started

well I was just wondering who all had started to bring in their Sarracenia, It's late October, and I usually bring all mine in mid-november, anyways I've only put 2 away so far just to see how they would do If I left them in the greenhouse for dormancy, I put them under the shelves for less sun, so far they appear to be dormant but are growing phyllodia (sp?) at an incredible rate, so I'll try cutting down on sun even more, all my VFTs are great at putting themselves to sleep so i dont think I'll have to move them anywhere

I've tried growing Sarracenia last year, but they didn't make it to this year. I don't know; it just died. My VFTs are haven't gone dormant yet. It's still pretty warm here in California, and they still have most of their summer leaves.

I would have thought the best place to leave them all for dormancy would be the greenhouse!

Give them as much sun as possible. They should continue growing phyllodia for another month or so.

They will be able to cope with your harsh winter temps in there and enjoy the sun during the day for extra photosynthesis. They should not be sitting in water at the moment until spring.

You probably know all this already - apologies if you think I'm wittering on!

haven't brought any in yet here. been a mild fall so far. have had a few light frosts, but the plants are still growing, even the first year seedings. hopefully this weather keeps up for awhile, because i haven't gotten around to making room in my garage yet.

Well, I'm weaning mine from indoors to outside right now! I figure they will do better with a natural dormancy outside, than anything I would attempt inside. I'm getting my husband to help me enclose a section of the patio with a home-brew cold frame to keep them above freezing once the weather starts getting colder. We've had the first frost, but it was mild enough the plants didn't seem to notice. Then I just cut down the water (already doing so on outdoor plants) and they should (I hope) be all set for the season.

Lucky for me Sarr's grow outside year-round here.
smile.gif

-Rail

Back