Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia identification assistance please

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I recently purchased one of pft.com's Sarracenia gardens, which is supposed to include a leucophylla, a wrigleyana, and a Judith Hindle. I can't quite tell which one of the plants is a Judith Hindle, however, as they don't quite look like the ones I see in pictures (I'm sure they look different when they're younger). Here's the pic:

Anyone see a Judith Hindle? Sorry if it's obvious, this is my first time growing a non-purpurea sarracenia. Thanks!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm no expert, but I can say with confidence that the one with the white and red veining / window look to it, has leucophylla in it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps you have 2 different kinds of plants in there?
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are indeed two (or more) species of Sarracenia in that pot. The upright one, as decribed by Jim, has the lookings of 'Judith Hindle' to me. They start with a good amount of white, but as they age, the red from the venation seems to spill out and eventually the plant turns a deep red to burgundy. Strong light will help his process along, mine eventually turn completely red (not just the hood area.)
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, I always thought the white one with the heavy red veining was the leucophylla. Here are a couple of closer-up pictures of those pitechers for identification.

So does it look like there are only two types in there? There should be three... I guess I won't know for sure until I repot this winter. Thanks for the help!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The second picture is a classic leucophylla. The top picture, with the red, may be your Judith Hindle. Judith Hindle is a cultivar, not a separate species, and probably contains leucophylla parentage, similar to a 'Dana's Delight' or a 'Tarnok'. The other plant, from the original pic, also looks like a cultivar, and also has leucophylla fenestrations (windows). It also has that overbite look of a S. minor to it or another cultivar called a psittacina. That might be your 'Wrigleyana', but I'm not sure.

Where are the REAL ID experts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't see any Judith Hindle pitchers in your photo. The white plant is leucophylla and the beaked one is wriglyana.

Are there two or three plants in there?
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second Alvin - i only see leuco and wrigleyana.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast