What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New guy needs info

I just purchased a sarracenia from Lowe's before gaining any knowledge about them. Can anyone direct me to a link which will give me information on care and proper environment, especially lighting requirements? I would like to grow them in the Florida outdoors, if possible. (Tampa Bay area)
It would be much appreciated!
DSCF0629.jpg

Here's the bare minimum information:

Put it outside in full sun. Have the pot sitting in a tray of water where you can get the water about an inch deep. Keep water in the tray, so it stays wet at all times. Use distilled water or rainwater. That's it! It will grow like crazy, except it will go dormant for the winter, which is pretty much now. Do it anyway. In spring it will come roaring back.

Capslock

I can't thank you enough! I'll do that today. I'm going to plant it in a mixture of peat moss and perlite in accordance to your instructions.
*EDIT: I still would like to learn more about them, so if anyone has additional information, that would be great!

Hi mesial and welcome to the forums! The advice above is dead on. Nothing really needs to be added, although some people like to grow them in a mini-bog (like me). But that's just a preference.

I've used Alvin Meister's link many times for information about VFTs. It has just about every genus of CPs. It's a really useful site. What species of Sarracenia do you have? Maybe I can direct you to another link too for additional information.

Appears to be an s. wrigleyana.

Hi, im just getting my feet wet in this and, well i have no idea what to do, im looking at venus fly traps... but have no idea what im going to do with one. here are my questions:
1 What can i feed it?
2 Can i set it on a desk?
3 How long will it live? How can i make it live that long
TY for all your posts.
smile.gif

Hi Nucleartractor! You should post your questions in the Venus Flytrap section of the forums. I'm pretty new to growing Venus Flytraps too, so I don't want to give you any wrong answers, but I've found a great website that has extensive information about Venus Flytraps that I found very helpful. Maybe you've seen this, maybe not, but here's the link:

Carnivorous Plant FAQ

Hope your VFTs do well!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]1 What can i feed it?
2 Can i set it on a desk?
3 How long will it live? How can i make it live that long

1. S. psittacina hybrids are actually very poor insect catchers, even in the wild. Don't bother trying to feed it - it'll do fne without being fed.
2. No. It needs plenty of light and should be on a sunny windowsill.
3 Indefinitely as long as you remember to let it sleep in winter in the fridge or a coldframe. The garden centre plants are grown in test tubes in effect though and can skip their first dormancy if necessary. Also remember - distilled or rainwater only. Keep it in a tray of water all the time.

Back