What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy help

glider14

Always a newbie
ok i just got a sarracenia tarnok from a target store it looks like the right potting mix and ive been feeding it so its doing pretty good. I live in kentucky and i am wondering if i can keep it outside all winter(we have frosts and snow) or if any other care should be taken. thank you very much
smile.gif

Sarracenia can survive frost and snow, but hate cold biting winds. You might be ok if you have a sheltered area and wrap the plant in bubble wrap. A greenhouse or cold frame would be slightly better.

how cold is coldbiting winds and could i just put them in a refridgerator?

You have options. Here is one of them:

WildBill's recipe for success

I've lived in Kentucky, Jackson County. Tht'as just a little mor north than the plants would naturally live, so if you wanted to pursue dormancy outside, I would follow Alvin Meister's guidance. If you want to use a refigerator, there are still several ways of doing it. What I would do is continue to grow them outside until the overnight lows are forecasted to below 30. by then your plants will be sufficiently asleep. Some people take the plants out of the soil and rinse them well, apply a fungicide, and place in a baggie, into the fridge. I have just taken the pot, as is, and put them in the fridge, keeping barely moist.

Welcome to the forums!

Back