What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My new ceph is on its way!

Wow great sized plant.

Nice looking plant. It's very similar in size to the one I got in May. don't be surprised if the open pitchers die-back. My plant pretty much lost all it's original pitchers.

good luck,
Brian

my girlfriends parents just bought me a Ceph for an early birthday present...
can't wait to see what my girlfreind does to top that!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Nice looking plant. It's very similar in size to the one I got in May. don't be surprised if the open pitchers die-back. My plant pretty much lost all it's original pitchers.

Ok, thanks for the advice Brian. Just a quick question: How often does your Ceph put out new pitchers?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]my girlfriends parents just bought me a Ceph for an early birthday present...
can't wait to see what my girlfreind does to top that!

Wow, what a cool birthday present! I'll have to tell my girlfriend and her parents to take note
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] How often does your Ceph put out new pitchers?

I received the plant May 1, and by September it had put out 6 new pitchers.  That's about 1 pitcher per month.  All my cephs have stopped growing now because the temps are cool.  

Brian

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I received the plant May 1, and by September it had put out 6 new pitchers. That's about 1 pitcher per month. All my cephs have stopped growing now because the temps are cool.

Very cool. I see a small nub making its way out of the rosette, so hopefully that means that my Ceph is enjoying my conditions. If (and when) its first new pitcher opens up I'll be sure to post a picture of it here
cool.gif

Wat size plant did you get Leeopardggecko? The small one or the medium one? After seeing that I defintly ordering today!!! I hope they dont run out. Also, do you think I could succesfully grow them with my neps? They are in humid conditions:80-90% humid., 2 100watt compact bulbs over hamging them by about 8 inches. They r getting 12-14 hours everyday and they're happy but not so sure for Cephs. Thanks!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Wat size plant did you get Leeopardggecko? The small one or the medium one? After seeing that I defintly ordering today!!! I hope they dont run out. Also, do you think I could succesfully grow them with my neps? They are in humid conditions:80-90% humid., 2 100watt compact bulbs over hamging them by about 8 inches. They r getting 12-14 hours everyday and they're happy but not so sure for Cephs. Thanks!!

I got the medium one, and sadly they're sold out of those. They were sold out of those two days after they put them up for sale! That crazy
smile_k_ani_32.gif
You can still get yourself a small one though.

Your setup sounds good for a Ceph. I have mine growing under two 23 watt compact flourescents and one 15 watt flourescent tube and it's settling in just fine.

cool i mite get 2 smalls. But do u think theres much of a diff.? Alos, is it safe to ship cephs wen its winter like this?

Hmmmmm, just from the pictures it seems that smalls are quite small...I'm sure the pitchers won't be nearly as big as the medium. Still, $20 is a good deal for a small Ceph. I say go for it!

As for the shipping in winter thing...I think Sarracenia Northwest does a good job with the packing, so your plants should be fine. You should go on their website and see what their policy is on shipping during the colder months.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Very cool. I see a small nub making its way out of the rosette, so hopefully that means that my Ceph is enjoying my conditions.

It's really fun watching the tiny embryo pitchers slowly develop. I received a Hummers giant a month ago, and it immediatly started to form new pitchers, so yours shouldn't take too long.

Brian

Yeah, hopefully my plant will start putting out new pitchers soon.

By the way, where did you get your Hummer's Giant? I've got the Ceph fever now and I want one!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Nov. 14 2005,6:48)]As for the shipping in winter thing...I think Sarracenia Northwest does a good job with the packing, so your plants should be fine. You should go on their website and see what their policy is on shipping during the colder months.
I just received my small ceph from Sarracenia Northwest and it came through with absolutely no problems. Good luck!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I just received my small ceph from Sarracenia Northwest and it came through with absolutely no problems.  Good luck!

Good to hear LeftCoast! Would you mind posting a picture of your small Ceph, just for comparisons sake (and just so I can see another cool Ceph!)

EDIT: I actually just went to your CP Blog site (the Bog Blog
smile_n_32.gif
) and saw the pictures of your new Ceph there. Not a bad sized plant! Sarracenia Northwest comes through once again! I'm bookmarking your Blog site...very cool!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Nov. 14 2005,7:13)]Good to hear LeftCoast! Would you mind posting a picture of your small Ceph, just for comparisons sake (and just so I can see another cool Ceph!)

EDIT: I actually just went to your CP Blog site (the Bog Blog
smile_n_32.gif
) and saw the pictures of your new Ceph there. Not a bad sized plant! Sarracenia Northwest comes through once again! I'm bookmarking your Blog site...very cool!
Thanks! Glad you liked the blog.
smile.gif
I've been having a lot of fun with it.

The small (soon to be a pitcher) nub appears to be getting slightly bigger, but it's definitely apparent that my Ceph is taking its sweet time adjusting to my conditions.

I have a Ceph with attitude
smile_k_ani_32.gif
blues.gif

Back