Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cobras in florida

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Tamlin Dawnstar posted about an odd circumstance whereby some of his plants were accidently flooded out - and did well.
    In the winter here is very rainy. a lot of the cp's are underwater quite a bit of that time.
    I think some cp's would even do better if they were completely flooded in the winter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone tried using a peltier cooler to chill water which could then be pumped into the pot of a cobra lily. I was thinking about using a water block for CPU cooling and adhering it to a peltier cooler. I'm concerned that the copper the water block is made of will harm the cobra lily. Has anyone tried this? Here is a picture of a water block I found as an example. Any suggestions?

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make a heat exchanger to circulate the water. The copper wouldn't be good for the CPs, and the stuff in the water wouldn't be good for the water block. Instead, get two sizes of pipe, one smaller than the other, and circulate the plant water through the smaller pipe. The smaller pipe should be something conductive of heat, like thin black ABS plastic or a corrosion resistant metal. Then encase the smaller pipe in a section of larger pipe and use it to circulate cooled water around the smaller pipe. Heat exchangers are used for solar heating and you can find diagrams for them on most alternative power websites. What is a peltier cooler? What kind of power source does it need? I would be interested in seeing your plans.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A peltier cooler (often called a peltier junction) is a small solid state device roughly 2'' x 2''. When you apply say 12V at 2A (maybe more), one side of the device gets hot while the other gets cold. A heat sink and fan needs to be put on the hot side to dissipate the heat. The more heat you can dissipate, the colder the other side gets. You can then adhere the cold side of the peltier cooler to a water block. Here are some pictures of a peltier junction.
    [img=http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/4486/peltier4005ot.th.jpg]

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what kind of cooling effect can you get with one of these units, practically speaking? I Googled them but I didn't turn up much besides prices.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, I don't know. Maybe this is a little extreme but I bet you could use a dorm sized fridge to cool the water.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123