Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please help! sarracenia 'daniel rudd' wilting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Merk, I don't know where Gemini gets his information. Mine comes from the field, and experience. Sarracenia love heat. Especially if that heat is coupled with high himidity, 70-90 %. Plants grown in high heat in a greenhouse (from 120-130 degrees F.), have intense and vivid color that can hurt the eye. Your problem sounds more like rhizome rot whether caused by fungus or insects. Look close at the rhizome. If it is getting mushy, you have to remove as much rot as you can. The plant may not survive, but at least you can try. My plants live outside 24/7, 365 days a year, and the heat gets up to 115-118F. in summer. They still do well even in the 15% humidity, though the hoods get a little crisp around the hood edges.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks Bugweed - I did notice a little white powdery fungus on it this morning but there wasn't much so I didn't think anything of it. I will check to see if it's squishy and cut it off as necessary. Do you think that it could be caused from the media not being aerated enough or would it be from insects or fungus only? It's just that the media did seem a bit 'sludgy'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Merk. My soil media is muck. Muddy, waterlogged, muck, straight peat moss. Kept that way everyday. What caused the problem, whether insect or fungus, can come in the plants you buy anytime. We can only attempt to control it. I hear all kinds of stuff about dryer plants versus wetter, who gets more disease than whom, and why fungus only does this or that in some situations. In the end, your own developed instincts can make or break the survivability of your plant. My plants are soaked all the time, and they look great! Have you seen their pics??
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm, well that makes me feel slightly better...

How do I see your pics - tried clicking on your name and stuff but couldn't see how to access your previousposts/pics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get out of this topic, and go back to the Forum Main page. Go to the left side of the page, by the light buld, and click on Pitcher Plants, the topic page title, and it will give you the topics page. About half way down are two topics, first title, Bugweeds at Bugweed's House, and the second is, Bugweeds in Spetember. Take a look at my babies, and enjoy yourself.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aaah - nice!

Wish I had enough room for that many plants but I live in an apartment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Used to grow plants on the roof of my old apartment. Had the same amount of stock then! Where there's a will there's a way.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Merk, I don't know where Gemini gets his information. Mine comes from the field, and experience. Sarracenia love heat. Especially if that heat is coupled with high himidity, 70-90 %.
    I didn't know that. I was just speaking from experiences I've had. Mine weren't the healthiest of plants. I don't think it could've handled 115 degree temperatures. I placed my plant in a small terrarium too, except mine got cooked. It was about 95 degrees F. But thank you for the information Bugweed. I'll make sure the sarracenia have both high temperatures and high humidity.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast