Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Please help! sarracenia 'daniel rudd' wilting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GEM, don't make sure they get anything but water. If it is hot out, so be it. Do not think that by keeping them hot, it will make a huge difference. They can HANDLE the heat, and not get cooked if things are right, but let nature heat and cool them. If you are looking for intense, eye blazing color, then put them in the heat purposefully. Otherwise, keep them in whatever your regular everyday heat is. In Citronelle Bog on a hot day, I have had a thermometer register 120 degrees F. on a normal MID summer day. The plants looked great, and looked just as good, though not as colorful, in mid spring in 85-95 dgree F. heat. Do not try to be nature, let your plants live as normally as the weather around you allows them to. Attempting to force something on any plant, can end in tragic results. Try your best to keep them above 70-75 degrees in late spring til the fall.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I checked the plant last night for any sign of mould or insect infestation and other than a tiny amount of white mould that came off with a gentle puff there was nothing. I did find some rot in it and tried to remove it with a scalpel but it was quite difficult to get in there and not damage any roots. Would it be better off to try and remove all of it at the risk of damaging live tissue or should I see how the plant goes?

The roots all look quite healthy and I repotted in in some fresh media and made sure the top half of the rhizome was above the media surface.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    everywhere i have seen Sarracenia in the wild it goes up to like 95, and over 100 in some places, in the summer daily. they thrive in heat IME.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Nov. 10 2005,5:31)]GEM, don't make sure they get anything but water. If it is hot out, so be it. Do not think that by keeping them hot, it will make a huge difference. They can HANDLE the heat, and not get cooked if things are right, but let nature heat and cool them. If you are looking for intense, eye blazing color, then put them in the heat purposefully. Otherwise, keep them in whatever your regular everyday heat is. In Citronelle Bog on a hot day, I have had a thermometer register 120 degrees F. on a normal MID summer day. The plants looked great, and looked just as good, though not as colorful, in mid spring in 85-95 dgree F. heat. Do not try to be nature, let your plants live as normally as the weather around you allows them to. Attempting to force something on any plant, can end in tragic results. Try your best to keep them above 70-75 degrees in late spring til the fall.
    Ahh, I'll learn something new every day, but I live in Elk Grove, and it doesn't get any hotter than 101 or 102 in the hottest of summer days. It also gets somewhat cold in the winter, around 34 in the coldest of temperatures. I think it could probably get up to 120 if I left them in the terrarium on the hot days. What about during the winter? I read that sarracenia needed a dormancy period too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gemini, Have you seen my plants? They live in very similar conditions to Elk Grove. Remember, you are not that far away. They live outdoors, not hiding behind glass walls. They do their best that way. You need to put them in a tray of water and keep the water levels up for them to grow and do well. Terraria in your area, are a waste of time. They do best outdoors, NATURALLY!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123