Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please help! sarracenia 'daniel rudd' wilting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, how's it going?

I am having a problem that I haven't come across before. I recently bought the aforementioned sarracenia a couple of weeks ago where it was grown in relatively high light levels and I believe was watered from an automatic spray system. Since getting it home it has been sitting in a centimeter or two of water and in a window that receives alot less light than it's previous location.

The problem is that the smaller pitchers started wilting and then dried up. I didn't think too much of it but now all the larger pitchers and the flower stalk have wilted and it looks pretty grim (see attached pic). The surface of the potting media is very damp and I am wondering if it might be rotting or something, or perhaps the media isn't aerated enough? If anyone has any ideas on what might be wrong and how I can fix it please help!

Thanks,
    Brad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like there's no water getting to the foliage, but you say it's in plenty of water.

Is it in sphagnum moss peat and being watered with distilled or rain water?
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think if the peat feels nice and damp it may be wise to check the roots. It is possible it was affected by vine weevils or a similar damaging pest while it was still in the shop it could be bugs eating the roots. You have nothing to lose by checking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the replies. It's in a moss peat/vermiculite (i think) mix which is the same mix the other plants are in and they are doing fine. Could the roots be rotting and causing this kind of damage?

I am based in Melbourne, Australia and from what I hear it is fine to use tap water here as it is very clean and relatively free of chemicals.

I will check the roots and se if there is any sign of insect damage...

Also we have had a few very hot days here (over 30 deg celcius) so not sure if this particular strain is sensitive to heat - anyone?

Thanks for the help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what your plant's problem is, but my S. purpurea died last year because of root rot. The pitchers just flopped over one week and turned brown. The plant never produced any more growth. I also checked the planting medium and found little white worm-looking bugs. I haven't tried growing sarracenia since, but I hope to someday perhaps with better luck.

Sarracenia prefer to be in temperatures between 45-85 degrees F. I think that's about 7-30 degrees C. Anything over 30 C is not very healthy for Sarracenia. They prefer cooler temperatures with a cold dormancy period. I hope that helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might be the vermiculite, I never heard of vermiculite being included in sarracenia soil mixes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gemini - Thanks for the advice, I will defintely try to keep their temp down on hot days, maybe put them outside in some shade and give them a light spray of water.

Pirahna - not 100% sure if it's vermiculite but looks like a shiny, angular pieces of stoney stuff, along with more rouded pieces that are less shiny.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Pirahna - not 100% sure if it's vermiculite but looks like a shiny, angular pieces of stoney stuff, along with more rouded pieces that are less shiny.
    Doubt it's vermiculite then. Vermiculite is (in my experiences) spongy and not at all stoney. If it's stoney it could be perlite (in which case it'd be more light,) pumice (harder, less porous,) or a couple of other different things.

As previously stated, it does look underwatered, and as that's obviously not the case I would definitly take a peek at the roots. No roots; no water.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast