User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Water levels

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am curious about what level of water everyone uses when growing their sars with the tray method of watering. I have some sars that only have about an inch of water in the tray and others where I have tried bringing the water almost to the top of the plant medium. What has everyone found that works best for them?
    I consider every plant hardy until I kill it

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pictures I see in Savage Garden seem to indicate that Sarracenias are in very wet conditions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually water my sarracenias to about an inch below the top of the pot. I let the water level drop to about 2 inches from the bottom before I water again. I believe it mimicks somewhat of its naturally water cycle. I've heard and read that sarracenias enjoy being very wet. Plants in the wild can get totally submerged with water up to the middle of pitchers for days at a time after a hurricane passes through and they seem to do just fine. I would not recommend this though. Here in central Florida during the summer we get a lot of rain. I'll let the water level rise to the top of the pot and slowly evaporate. I've found with my plants that as long as they are very wet, they'll be fine.

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some people say very wet, others a water table of an inch or so. Some say you should flood and dry the plants, others don't.

Personally I just keep an inch or two of water in the trays from late March to early October. No water in at other times.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow my Sarracenia outdoors year around. They get watered daily in summer, but other times of the year get flooded with rainwater, or run dry for a few days. They have a good habit of taking care of themselves. In winter, the pots get buried in the ground, with the rim of the pots at the soil surface to insulate them. No water level, but they stay moist and damp.

-Homer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    During the growing season, mine are sitting in saucers with 1-2" of water which I replace only when the water is almost gone. I grow them indoors.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)