User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you make a S. purpurea flower?!?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they did as seedlings, CCFC, I wouldn't raise them as I do. Plus side, quicker maturation, and plants as big as a foot or more within 2 years. Third year, normal dormancy, or the plant dies from no dormancy. You have the first two years, so take the advice and run!!!!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]If they did as seedlings, CCFC, I wouldn't raise them as I do. Plus side, quicker maturation, and plants as big as a foot or more within 2 years. Third year, normal dormancy, or the plant dies from no dormancy. You have the first two years, so take the advice and run!!!!
    Yep, |'ve had them flower in year three by sowing in November, skipping the next dormancy and giving them a rest the year after.

S. purpurea isn't an overly 'flowery' species in my experience and it tends to take longer for them to start flowering. Their rhizomes aren't as large as the other species, with the exception of psittacina, and consequently I find they take a while to bloom.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how about rubra or leocophyllia, since i have one i also have wondered when they will flower, both are a foot tall.
    Mens Et Manus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Normally, 5 to 7 years of normal growth will bring the plants to maturity. However, always be ready for the plant that is a late bloomer, or an early one. You NEVER know for sure. But the norm, is 5 to 7.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12